wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Add says mapplewood. Mapplewood is a township here. It doesn't list what type of wood it is. And it doesn't really look like maple to me. Just wanting to see if its worth picking up this weekend.

It could be silver maple, a common tree of subdivisions. The amount of sap wood on the logs and the shape of the standing tree reminds me of silver maple, also. If the tree was really big and old, the bark starts to 'plate' like shagbark hickory. Silver maple is fairly light weight wood if it's really dry. I've burned it and it burns well, but faster than oak.

I magnified it to 400x and 500x but the pictures got too blurry, but I saw on the end pieces of some of the cut pieces that "blotchy" tatoo that Box Elder has which technically IS in the Maple family. It also looked pretty yellow at some ends too which might be more like Poplar. Magnify it and see what you guys think.....

Yeah, someone will be happy with that nice bundle.....

Its some sort of Maple. Seasoned it burns good. It could turn out to be a hard maple which is real good.
if red streaking on the ends, its box elder... its firewood but very light when dry.

lol @ you guys....

I can't get the truck till this weekend and we have had so many storms and wind that there is tons of wood right now. I am looking at wood for my 2014/15 pile and I don't have the room for oak to season years so I am going to be sticking with silver maple/ash/fruit wood. Wood that I can split this winter into spring and will be burnable next winter is what I am looking for. Sounds like this might be a decent score.

lol @ you guys....

I can't get the truck till this weekend and we have had so many storms and wind that there is tons of wood right now. I am looking at wood for my 2014/15 pile and I don't have the room for oak to season years so I am going to be sticking with silver maple/ash/fruit wood. Wood that I can split this winter into spring and will be burnable next winter is what I am looking for. Sounds like this might be a decent score.

If it sits around til the weekend it must be poor quality. Around here the primo stuff is gone immediately.
To me it looks like a young tree of some sort. Very hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.