Wood ID - Southern CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mryank9

Dec 2, 2013
Greater New Haven, CT
Grabbed a bunch of rounds after the tornado came through CT couple weeks ago, looking to see what this is
Wood ID - Southern CT
Wood ID - Southern CT
Wood ID - Southern CT

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
My first thought was Hickory. Maybe Bitternut hickory . Let's see if my first thought was correct.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
That bark does not ring a bell for me, but the bark plus the inside -- my guess is a type of hickory I haven't cut or split before. (Or even seen in the woods.)

Excellent question. Thanks for posting.

Later: I can't remember what pecan bark looks like. Could this be pecan?

Last edited:
Looks like some type of red oak (pin oak ?), based on heavy rays present in OP's last pic (post #3).
What does it smell like ? Pin oak smells strongly of vinegar.
I've been splitting bitternut hickory this weekend; it doesn't look like a hickory.

Pin oak might be the answer! It did have a strong unpleasant smell. Waiting on a new carb for my splitter and I will get some of the big stuff split

Reactions: hickoryhoarder