Wood ID, please . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyMum

Nov 30, 2011
CT
Hi There,

I'm a newbie with a few questions today. Can anyone id this wood? I'm guessing it's ASH only because we have quite a few ASH trees in our yard, but otherwise, have no real basis for that uninformed guess! Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Wood ID, please . . .
    DSC_1617.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 670
Elm, most likely Grey Elm. Ash that size would split like a dream, I believe you try and split that it will be very stringy and tough!

Bark looks like oak, all the leaves on the ground are maple.

Definitely not ash. I'd agree on the elm.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum.

nrford said:
Elm, most likely Grey Elm. Ash that size would split like a dream, I believe you try and split that it will be very stringy and tough!

I think too it may be elm. I just cut an elm Monday, went out and looked at it just now, and it has identical patterns as shown.

Split some and you'll know for sure :)

I can't help on the id for that one, but you have a lot of red oak leaves along with the maple on the ground there.

Matt

Looks like a red oak variety to me. If elm, look at the bark where you made the cut (cross section) - if American elm - you'll see alternating white and brown layers to the bark - very obvious (if slippery (red) elm, alternating dark and darker layers). Cheers!

Is that a broken off limb? Top left of the pic looks like it broke.
Got a Pic of the tree it came of of?
I'm thinking it's oak.

Definately not Oak, Final answer ELM.

EatenByLimestone said:
I can't help on the id for that one, but you have a lot of red oak leaves along with the maple on the ground there.
There's also what appears to be an Elm leaf in the front center...

I'm looking at a small pic on my phone but it could be elm. The only maple that has bark like that is norway and those big broad maple leaves look like norway too. Split some and if it pops open easy my guess would be norway maple.

I'm not too familiar with the look of cut Elm except for Red. I have a little bit of other Elm in the stack, and the bark looks very similar to what you have there.

American or Grey/White Elm definitely.

Once or twice a year I cut smaller-medium size ones with broken tops or other damage.Not much more than scrub really,most of the large old ones have died off around my area.Wait a year or more until the bark falls off,that can really help in splitting the larger rounds.

Mix of red oak and large maple leaves on the ground, with one elm leaf at the bottom. Wood looks like maple, bark looks like elm.

Magnolia? %-P

Thistle said:
American or Grey/White Elm definitely.

Once or twice a year I cut smaller-medium size ones with broken tops or other damage.Not much more than scrub really,most of the large old ones have died off around my area.Wait a year or more until the bark falls off,that can really help in splitting the larger rounds.

Yes, second look, elm. Cheers!

I'll go with elm as well. I had a big one die two years ago, and the year it died there were very few leaves in the spring (and they were all pretty tiny for elm leaves), but the bark was still firmly attached until the following spring. By the end of that summer it was just flapping in the breeze. So this might be a tree that just died and made no/few leaves.

Wow, you guys are GREAT! Thanks for all of the responses. Do the attached pics of the tree confirm or deny elm? I had forgotton I took these after the big storm in October. The wood has been sitting (on my neighbor's property, his tree) since the storm, and I've been debating whether I should ask him for it. Maybe no one has taken it because it's elm, and less desirable? Sounds like it's hard to split. Does it not burn well?

I also attached a pic of what I believe was an ash tree. During the storm, it bent all the way onto our driveway, and then recovered up a few feet. I was hoping it would recover fully, but it never did, so my husband took it down last weekend. It should be good to burn next year, yes?

Attachments

• Wood ID, please . . .
    tree%20on%20line.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Wood ID, please . . .
    tree%20on%20road.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Wood ID, please . . .
    bendy tree.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 275
Ahh, that would explain why you all aren't seeing any elm leaves on the ground! They were still on the tree when it came down, and the town took those branches away already!!

GreyMum said:
Do the attached pics of the tree confirm or deny elm? I had forgotton I took these after the big storm in October. The wood has been sitting (on my neighbor's property, his tree) since the storm, and I've been debating whether I should ask him for it. Maybe no one has taken it because it's elm, and less desirable? Sounds like it's hard to split. Does it not burn well?

I also attached a pic of what I believe was an ash tree...It should be good to burn next year, yes?
Is the limb on the power lines the same one pictured at the beginning of the thread?
Hard to confirm from this batch of pics. Some of the leaves do look sort of Elm-like and the shape of the branches looks sort of vase-like, but I would be pretty much guessing at ID. Elm burns OK and puts out medium heat. White Ash burns a bit longer. Split Ash will dry over the Summer but I'm not sure if any rounds bigger than 3" will. I'll leave that question for more experienced seasoners to field.

Woody Stover said:
GreyMum said:
Do the attached pics of the tree confirm or deny elm? I had forgotton I took these after the big storm in October. The wood has been sitting (on my neighbor's property, his tree) since the storm, and I've been debating whether I should ask him for it. Maybe no one has taken it because it's elm, and less desirable? Sounds like it's hard to split. Does it not burn well?

I also attached a pic of what I believe was an ash tree...It should be good to burn next year, yes?
Is the limb on the power lines the same one pictured at the beginning of the thread?Hard to confirm from this batch of pics. Some of the leaves do look sort of Elm-like and the shape of the branches looks sort of vase-like, but I would be pretty much guessing at ID. Elm burns OK and puts out medium heat. White Ash burns a bit longer. Split Ash will dry over the Summer but I'm not sure if any rounds bigger than 3" will. I'll leave that question for more experienced seasoners to field.

Yes, the second set of pictures (with the exception of the bendy ash tree) are of the tree that resulted in the cut wood in my the first post.

I asked about the Ash because we had some Ash trees taken down earlier in the year. We gave away via Craigslist (not knowing at the time that we'd be purchasing a stove), and the guy told us that it was good to burn this year. (?) We have other wood (split) that we will burn first, so just assume save the Ash.

get your axe out and go out there and try and split a round, when you got it split post the pic up on here and THAT will likely guarantee whether it is elm or not!

bogydave said:
I'm thinking it's oak.

Dave if you knew what Oak was u would have 72 hr burns. :lol:

cptoneleg said:
bogydave said:
I'm thinking it's oak.

Hey
I stayed in a Holiday Inn 5 years ago. :)
Lived/grew up In WV & PA.
Born & raised "hillbilly"
Helped Dad with his saw mill in WV many times.
Oak is the tree with acorns :)

bogydave said:
cptoneleg said:
bogydave said:
I'm thinking it's oak.

Hey
I stayed in a Holiday Inn 5 years ago. :)
Lived/grew up In WV & PA.
Born & raised "hillbilly"
Helped Dad with his saw mill in WV many times.
Oak is the tree with acorns :)

Just kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.