Wood ID- please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I cut this last year when I was working at one of our quarries in MD, some trees that were taken down as part of the expansion. I have come across several pieces in my stack I'm burning now. Thanks!
Wood ID- please?Wood ID- please?Wood ID- please?

Mulberry is exactly what I was thinking, thanks! Actually now that I'm thinking about it, that might be the one that blew down in Sandy in my yard. Regardless, Mulberry is good to have right? ==c

Mulberry is exactly what I was thinking, thanks! Actually now that I'm thinking about it, that might be the one that blew down in Sandy in my yard. Regardless, Mulberry is good to have right? ==c

Yes it's good stuff, throws nice heat once it is dry. Pops somewhat and throws some sparks but that just adds to the fun lol.....

Yes it does, kinda caught me by surprise the first reload after I burned one of those splits. Made me jump back a little lol. Then I quickly scanned the carpet to make sure nothing exciting was about to happen, sparks shot out the door about 3-4 feet. I'm pretty sure thats been seasoning at least a year maybe 1.5, is that long enough? As I come across some oak I have in that pile I have been setting it aside for next year

It's hard to tell, it looks pretty dry in those pictures. Mulberry takes awhile to dry out because it starts out so wet.

30.5%, I think I'll be setting it aside along with the Oak for next year. Nice and yellow inside yet

Yes it is. I only burned 3-4 splits so now I know. Should be ready next year I guess

I came across a scrounge yesterday someone dumped in a field by my house. Some Poplar but this other I'm not sure of. Its the few pieces on top of the closer pile without the snow in the 3rd pic, some has more dark heartwood in it. I can split a piece if that helps. I also have a buddy doing a tree job that has some white pine rounds coming my way. Thats something I never thought I'd say, I'm going to burn Pine in my stove ==c

Wood ID- please? Wood ID- please? Wood ID- please?

Thanks Fifelaker that's what I was thinking. There has been several piles dumped in random locations around my area. I found this while I was going back with my truck to check out 2 other piles, which turned out to be all Pine. I couldn't easily load the pine as it was close to the road on a bend, so I backtracked and went with this- Plan B. There's about 1/4 pickup load mixed with chips left but I doubt I'll get the rest, unless someone dumps another pile. I was doing some storm damage inventory in my woods yesterday. What I have laying will probably put me 6 yrs ahead if I processed it all now.

Soft Maple.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Better than poplar
Yeah I didn't take much Poplar but took all the maple. Filled the rest of the truck with the poplar, I'll use that for shoulder season. Thanks for the replies guys. Free is me, I'll take it. Only had to trim it to 22+" for my stove, so minimal use of MY chainsaws

Poplar is awesome in September, October, April and May...... Maybe June the way this year is going....

LOL yeah I hear that! At least we dodged this storm, it went from 6-12" to we have a dusting this morning. I'll take it, just wondering how the job I'm working on in MD fared. Guess I'll find out tomorrow

Just. Saw on news, Delaware got wolleped.....lol

Wonderful. Digging out for a sewer treatment plant expansion. Maybe my 12' deep hole I dug last week will be full haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.