Wood Id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jwilson2309

Jul 3, 2024
Washington state
Hey all, newbie here in western Washington. I need some help identifying this load I got. The person I got it from had no idea what kind of tree it was. When picking it up I thought it was alder. Smooth bark and red heartwood, looked similar to another load of alder I had but after cutting into it I'm not sure. It stinks like cow manure and is way heavier and harder to split than the other alder I have. The lady provided me with a pic before the tree was taken down as well.

Wood Id help Wood Id help

Ask the lady if the tree flowered with a white flower in spring. If so, maybe Wild Cherry but that doesn't smell bad.