Wood ID. Bradford Pear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Neighbor had a tree they cut down that they didn't want. Saw I had wood stacked duo out back and bucked it and threw it over my fence. Thoughtful! But what I thought was callery/Bradford Pear...doesn't look or smell like it anymore. Thoughts? I know Bradford Pear is normally wavy. This stuff isn't. No peaches on the ground nearby either. My camera isn't picking up the orange well, but it's pretty orange. Camera makes it look more brown than orange

IMG_20231225_132156.jpg IMG_20231225_132148.jpg IMG_20231225_132143.jpg

Reactions: patrickk222
Whatever it is I'm glad I'm not splitting it by hand. Looks gnarly.

Could be Bradford Pear easily. I've burned it and it burns well when seasoned properly. It's starting to take off as a volunteer "weed tree" around here. Was engineered back in the day as a sterile tree. Not sterile anymore. Usually nothing but branches and a small trunk so don't see much of it as firewood.

I definitely split it by hand pretty easy. I'm assuming Bradford Pear, it just doesn't have the same bark look

I kinda want to say sweet gum. But it could be Bradford.

I definitely split it by hand pretty easy. I'm assuming Bradford Pear, it just doesn't have the same bark look
I have split plenty of pear. None of it was easy. Then again, I just got a huge amount of ash from my tree service buddy. It’s been a nightmare to split. There’s a first time for everything.

You have ash that is hard to split? The ash around here splits easily.
Some ash is. Depends on unions and knots. The straight pieces are not bad. I also find white ash generally splits easier then black ash.
There is also blue and green ash but, I have no experience with those two.

All the ash I have split previously has been relatively easy. This stuff, not so much. Easy to see why.
1000006571.jpg
1000006567.jpg
1000006568.jpg
1000006570.jpg
1000006572.jpg
1000006573.jpg

All the ash I have split previously has been relatively easy. This stuff, not so much. Easy to see why
Yeah, I was under the impression that ash was easy to split. I got some from a tree I cut down at my wife's grandparents. Like the stuff you were dealing with, this ash was not easy to split. What a mess

IMG-4102.jpg IMG-4103.jpg IMG-4104.jpg

Hickory is of course great firewood. I have used 3 truck loads of it, and every time the stuff was infested with bark beetles. After a month in the woodpile, the wood was covered with pounds of fine powdery sawdust from these bugs.