Wood ID, backyard tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Doesn't appear to be hackberry, but looks like it. It's currently shading my lawn so it'll be taken down. Just don't know if it'll be a worthy wood to add to my collection or if it's more of a trash wood that just be burned in a pile. It's not as young as it appears. Apparently it's over a decade old...probably closer to 20 years. Might be around 30 ft tall? Doesn't seem to attract any birds or insects or even squirrels, except paper wasps 🫤.

Wood ID, backyard tree.Wood ID, backyard tree.Wood ID, backyard tree.Wood ID, backyard tree.Wood ID, backyard tree.

It almost looks like a green gauge tree member of the Plumb family
I have no idea how it would burn most likely like any fruit tree

Definitely not green gage plum. We have one of them on the property border. It resembles a laurel. We have a Umbellularia californica, (calif bay laurel) that has similar leaves and fruit. What is the flower like? Are the leaves fragrant when crushed?

Definitely not green gage plum. We have one of them on the property border. It resembles a laurel. We have a Umbellularia californica, (calif bay laurel) that has similar leaves and fruit. What is the flower like? Are the leaves fragrant when crushed?
Doesn't seem to have any flowers at all. I only cut half of it down. But it did have a very noticeable scent. Not pungent or woody. But had a very grassy smell almost

It resembles diospyros virginiana aka the common persimmon. Is the wood particularly hard and dense?

Crepe Myrtle I know (TN) has smaller leaves and the bark is smoother and can flake off.
This doesn't look like that.

Crepe Myrtle I know (TN) has smaller leaves and the bark is smoother and can flake off.
This doesn't look like that.
Yeah I know it isn't Myrtle for sure. Just had the same weight characteristics. And the interior color is a white looking color with no Heartwood. After sitting for a few hours...it appears to be orange now. Maybe a peach color

Reactions: stoveliker
Looks like the sapsuckers like it.

Reactions: stoveliker
The crepe Myrtle I have cut was much more white inside.
If I remember correctly it didn't get orange either. But maybe your sun exposure was stronger.

The bark of ours was much smoother too

But there may be a lot of varieties as it's cultivated a lot.

Looks like the sapsuckers like it.
Well at least....before I moved here. Haven't seen or heard them since I've been here. It's not quite as orange as callery pear and it has a very very herbal smell to it. Even more grassy smelling than White ash. It almost has the scent of fresh cut wet grass.

The crepe Myrtle I have cut was much more white inside.
If I remember correctly it didn't get orange either. But maybe your sun exposure was stronger.

The bark of ours was much smoother too

But there may be a lot of varieties as it's cultivated a lot.
True. This isn't crepe though. At least to my knowledge. The bark is all wrong. And it doesn't flower at all. It also seems to grow more upright than out. Was about 30ft tall but maybe only 6-7ft wide