Wood / Electric Valley comfort MP80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Katrina93

Apr 3, 2022
BC
We bought our house in the beginning of winter so really only used to wood component. Today I wanted to use the electric portion so I switched the thermostat to on and turned the heat up but it did not turn on. So I started a fire... Which went fine except it was blowing non stop and i just thought maybe because its pretty warm or because it was really windy today. The house went to 27 degrees and the furnace would not shut off even after the wood had burnt out. I ended up having to turn the breaker off to get it to stop. Just wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong?

Is the furnace an add-on to an electric or other fuel furnace? If so, that may have a separate circuit and breaker. Is that on too?

It is an electric / wood furnace. I think its all one unit (Valley Comfort MP80. When I turn off the breaker it does all shut off. The unit runs with or without wood but it does not stop at the temperature you tell it to. Not sure if this is a thermostat issue or if something else is wrong?

Could be a bad contactor not releasing the load being called by the t'stst.

So the MP80 is an auxiliary wood furnace connected to an electric furnace? If so, the electric furnace part should have a separate 2 pole (220v) circuit breaker.
Can you post a picture of the whole installation?

Last edited:
I would guess that it is a wood furnace with electric backup coils mounted in the supply plenum...dunno, just a SWAG.
Yes, that is an option, but I don't know without visual confirmation. Regardless, the coils would be on a separate 220v breaker. I am wondering about the fan limit control in the MP80 or in an independent unit, thus the request. If it's not the 220v breaker then she will need a furnace tech there to trace down the fault on the electric furnace side. There could also be a high heat cutoff snap switch in the circuit that has failed or a bad contactor.