Wood Eating Pests

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

feverdog71

May 21, 2014
Metamora, IL.
Anybody recognize these suckers? I'm thinking these are what turned a small percentage of my wood pile into wood dust last year. Would sure like to know what they are.

Hopefully, none will get in my woodpile for next season.

Attachments

• Wood Eating Pests
    IMG_1174.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 269
I don't know the bugs but that sawdust looks familiar. That wood looks like hickory.
I got a load of hickory last year and it was infested with bugs that made all kinds of sawdust. I never saw a damn bug, though.

I don't know the bugs but that sawdust looks familiar. That wood looks like hickory.
I got a load of hickory last year and it was infested with bugs that made all kinds of sawdust. I never saw a damn bug, though.
You are correct, that is hickory. I think that log was infested before I brought it home. After I stacked it up, I saw saw dust in one corner of my pile where I had some newly split hickory. By the winter, I was seeing dust all over my wood pile. They did some serious damage.

I have burned all kinds of wood, oak, black walnut, beech, cherry you name it. But this was the first load of hickory that I had gotten and I mean, that pile is covered with that damn sawdust.

I posted my problem on here and the guys said it is the hickory beetle and he just wants to get in the bark of a living tree.
Which means that he probably doesn't want to gnaw on the white pine logs of my log cabin.
Nevertheless I don't bring that wood in to the house unless I am putting it right on the fire. I store some of it on my deck which is PT pine I don't think hickory bugs will eat much of that.

PITA But hickory is great firewood so it is a two edged sword.