Wood cabinets around chimney reaching over 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanG80

Nov 23, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have a central wood furnace in my basement. We purchased the home in June, and I had it installed in October with a new SS liner. The house has in the wall wood cabinets built around the chimney on the 1st floor, which I didn't think much of until they got pretty hot. It usually doesn't get uncomfortably hot unless I burn 24+ hours. I'm on a 2 day burn right now, I put my remote thermometer inside the one cabinet and it's at 110. I know its normal to radiate heat from the bricks, but should I be concerned? I have to imagine over time the wood on those cabinets are really drying out...

There is a reason why there are clearance requirements. Sounds like there is no air space between the bricks and cabinets. Code requirements require a 2” space between and masonry chimney and any combustible. Most builders and inspectors never check after framing was done.

Thanks. I wondered that. Had there been a wall instead of cabinets, there would probably be space. Not sure how I could see without poking a hole... I can hold my hand on it without burning, maybe I'm over anxious?

Thanks. I wondered that. Had there been a wall instead of cabinets, there would probably be space. Not sure how I could see without poking a hole... I can hold my hand on it without burning, maybe I'm over anxious?
Was your liner properly insulated? The concern is if they are that hot just burning normally what happens in the event of a chimney fire?

The installer said it wouldn't fit with insulation. There was only an extra inch to work with.
In that case they should have removed the old clay tile

The installer said it wouldn't fit with insulation. There was only an extra inch to work with.
Could have used the thinner 1/4" insulation too...way better than none at all.
Flue removal is the right way though...

You could be in for a really bad situation, if the chimney wasn't cleaned VERY good before the liner was put in. And any creosote that wasn't removed first, happens to catch fire.

There actually wasn't a liner at all. The previous owners had an oil furnace removed for all electric about ten years ago. All that was sticking out of the top was some terracotta that didn't go very far down. It's a 6.5" liner in a 7.5" opening. Don't know much about chimneys though, but that does seem small to me...

There actually wasn't a liner at all. The previous owners had an oil furnace removed for all electric about ten years ago. All that was sticking out of the top was some terracotta that didn't go very far down. It's a 6.5" liner in a 7.5" opening. Don't know much about chimneys though, but that does seem small to me...

But - it still needed to be cleaned VERY WELL before a new liner was put in. Even more important if there was no clay liner - if any dirty stuff left behind ignites, it wouldn't be long before that burns into your house. Then with no clay - if you ever have a chimney fire inside your new one, there's not much between it and your wood. Or even between a hot burn and your wood. Thoughts of that would give me the heebee jeebees.

But - it still needed to be cleaned VERY WELL before a new liner was put in. Even more important if there was no clay liner - if any dirty stuff left behind ignites, it wouldn't be long before that burns into your house. Then with no clay - if you ever have a chimney fire inside your new one, there's not much between it and your wood. Or even between a hot burn and your wood. Thoughts of that would give me the heebee jeebees.
Not going to lie, you're giving me the heebee jeeves! My uncle installed, and has been in HVAC for almost 40 years, in his own business for 20. I trust him which is why I wouldn't call anyone else...I'll still have a conversation with him.

I had the same setup, just brick, no liner...had never done a chimney inspection personally, and nobody ever said anything when I had a tech out to service my furnace...sure glad I had already planned on an insulated liner when I switch from oil to wood!
Not sure why no liner, I always assumed that the mason just shortchanged the builder and nobody ever caught it...

Not going to lie, you're giving me the heebee jeeves! My uncle installed, and has been in HVAC for almost 40 years, in his own business for 20. I trust him which is why I wouldn't call anyone else...I'll still have a conversation with him.
Does he do chimneys or just HVAC? He clearly doesn't understand what is needed for a safe code compliant liner install.

I haven't had the chance to talk to him today, but I'm curious what wasn't done to code?
The liner was installed without insulation in a chimney without the required clearances to combustibles

The liner was installed without insulation in a chimney without the required clearances to combustibles
Thanks. I'll have to have it checked out.

Good thing is it's been an unusually mild winter, though I'm sure more cold is coming. I haven't had to burn much to this point. Appreciate all the help though.