Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chimneychick

Chimney Chick Tweets
Hearth Supporter
We have a situation whereas our client has a Heatform fireplace and wishes to install a wood-burning insert into its System.
Scenarios-
both of the Heatform fireplaces have..
1/ - A stainless steel chimney system coming off the top
2/ - it is a see-thru unit- rear has been cut away and a permanent glass door attached
3/ - no visible markings denoting its make nor model
I am attached photos of the openings and the chimney systems
Advise please
photos are
1/ the chimney systems
2-3/ the opening and back side of basement unit
4-5 / the opening and backside of main floor unit

NOTE- we found problems with the steel boxes in both and have advised client not to use until situations can be rectified.
Both back sides have welded shut glass doors that are non-opening
They just bought the home

Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces Wood-Burning insert in Heatform Fireplaces

We have a situation whereas our client has a Heatform fireplace and wishes to install a wood-burning insert into its System.
Scenarios-
both of the Heatform fireplaces have..
1/ - A stainless steel chimney system coming off the top
2/ - it is a see-thru unit- rear has been cut away and a permanent glass door attached
3/ - no visible markings denoting its make nor model
I am attached photos of the openings and the chimney systems
Advise please
photos are
1/ the chimney systems
2-3/ the opening and back side of basement unit
4-5 / the opening and backside of main floor unit

NOTE- we found problems with the steel boxes in both and have advised client not to use until situations can be rectified.
Both back sides have welded shut glass doors that are non-opening
They just bought the home

View attachment 291242 View attachment 291243 View attachment 291244 View attachment 291245 View attachment 291246
Are they heatforms? (Metal fireboxes installed in a masonry structure) Or prefab fireplaces? (A multi layer firebox in a framed structure)

Thank you for your reply B Holler
They are both heatform fireplaces venting off stainless steel chimney systems.
One side sealed off with welded glass doors and the other open with a set of masonry FP glass doors installed
I do know the difference between a HF and a prefab PF :)
Client just moved in, we told him not to use them. We will have to go back and start a tear out investigation.
He was 'told' by the seller that they worked just fine.
We are telling him that since they were modified, we cannot tell the manufacturer and we cannot attest to them being 'allowed' to vent thru SS chimney, that he cannot use.
He want to use them and install a fireplace insert into each!!
I told him I would do my due diligence and research opinions. Even tho we do not want to install into these