Wood burning fireplace replacement options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tfw

Sep 5, 2019
ge
Hi,

We are in the process of renovating our condo here in nyc.

We would like to change our wood burning firepace into a gas burning one and would like to know what our options are. Our contractor at first recommended a direct vent unit, but we do not want the glass partition. Now he is recommending a masonry box that has a mechanical damper and exhaust fan. What are the pros and cons of this type of system? what are our other options?

I should mention that we want the unit to be see-thru, that we are on the top floor, and that it is 23 feet from the floor slab to the existing chimney on the roof deck.

Thank you,

Fran

What do you have currently? What type of chimney is in place? Do you want this for heat or just aesthetics?

What do you have currently? What type of chimney is in place? Do you want this for heat or just aesthetics?

Hi,

The contractor has removed the old box and there is just an empty space with the old flue there now. The contractor is suggesting removing the flue to replace with a sheet metal mechanical flue.

Ideally we would like it to be see thru, open flame (no glass partition), and give off heat. We want it to feel like a traditional fireplace I think, although without the mess.

Can you tell me what the pros and cons of the system i described are?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience you will not find one type of unit that accomplishes all of that. It might be different in NY but in MA the damper us removed so you need operable glass doors to close when the fireplace is not in use. Logset are inefficient, messy, less reliable, and not great heaters. A two sided sealed direct vent zero clearance fireplace would work best for you, but you would have that glass pane.