Wood burning as a hobby vs EBR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Wood as a hobby, that new thought for me. Before finding site I sent a lot of time on the FALFILES and
on other gun sites. Spent a lot of money on gun kits and ammo. Now I spend a lot of time here, plus cutting and hauling wood. This a much cheaper hobby/sickness then firearms. I still like to shoot and reload but now I need a splitter more then a 1919A6.

i hear ya, this place keeps me out of the reef tank forums, and learning about all the latest and greatist reef stuff... now i have it worse then a addiction, i do it for a living.

There are certainly worse things to be addicted to. Recently, 3 years ago, I gave up television. I have no reception where I live without a satelite. It wasn't the $80 a month bill, but more so the time wasted sitting in front of the tube. I had calculated I watched roughly 15-20 hours a week! I really don't miss it either, have found other hobbies to occupy my time, and get my news from NPR.

Now I'm getting into this wood burning thing... but I see it as more of a lifestyle, than a hobby. To me, it's part of a start towards self sufficiency.

I gave up TV as well. It will be a year in March. I gave it up because of the time it wasted.

A good amount of that time has been taken up with cutting/stacking/burning/cleaning as a result of a choice to heat with wood.

It was a very good trade off.

In my current situation, I would not call wood burning a hobby, but I could see how the things that go with it could become one. I really like running the saw and stacking and organizing the wood. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy, but at the same time, having a fire burning in the living room has increased my odds at some other things that have also replaced my TV time...... ;)

Chicks dig fires.

Russ

I'm impressed with both of you. I agree most people spend way too much time on TV. My solution was a little less drastic. When I moved into my current house, the main TV went into a separate home theater (fancy word for a room over my garage). So, lots of nights we never make it up there. This resulted in a drastic reduction in TV viewing hours... I'm happy with that. Besides, there is no hearth in that room!

There's always time for the FAL. I split my personal computer time between this and woodworking sites. Much better than watching tv unless my wife says it's time to sit with her and watch TV.

I have to admit I still LOVE the television!
However I do spend more time channel-surfing than actually watching one show.

If I'm not watching TV, I am on-line surfing the web, going to sites I probably shouldn't be going to. Or here on Hearth.com ...typing this.

I listen to NPR exclusively while in the car. I'm not sure what it is about NPR over the other news/talk stations...I just like it, the people on there seem more intelligent.
I got hooked on NPR in high school, all the other kids were listening to Michael Jackson or Metallica and I was listening to "As it happens".

um...yeah...NERD!

Right now wood burning is a hobby for me. I just have a fireplace -so I don't need to have 6 cords ready to heat the house. It's just for ambiance. Very nice to sit in front of after a day at work. Aaaaaahhhhhhh.

I would like to heat with wood and not have a gas bill.
I would also like to put a bunch of solar panels on the roof and not have an electric bill.
Dig a well and not have a water bill. etc. etc. etc.
Someday, someday.

Big Eric, I have seen that episode on Alaska and Dick (no pun intended). I too was glued. Here's a guy who does what other folks just talk about. What a commitment. I should revise my statement about TV. I do watch movies from time to time maybe one a week, but no network or cable TV. NPR is the best! Love it! Other than that I listen to the classic country station that plays Hank Williams senior, Bob Wills, etc. That's it for the radio stations. Gave up the butt rock long ago.

We're all on the same page at the forum I believe. All self sufficient, diy, types. That's great. Something about wood burning that attracts similar people. I bet many of you folks have subscriptions to Mother Earth News and Backwoods magazine too, lol.

-Kevin

EBR= Evil Black Rifle like AR15's,FALs,AK47

DavidV said:
There's always time for the FAL. I split my personal computer time between this and woodworking sites. Much better than watching tv unless my wife says it's time to sit with her and watch TV.

Ditto - couldn't have said it better myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.