WONDERING HOW MANY PELLET STOVES IN THE USA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
I have been reading 8 million people mostly in the NE heat with oil.I wonder how many of these people have changed to pellets.At
the price of oil I believe we have total demand destruction and these people are never going back to oil.I am guessing electricity is cheaper than oil.

about half changed to pellets...and the other half are standing in line, waiting for a stove. LOL! %-P

seriously...I have no idea what the numbers are, in terms of "how many'...but I did do some figurin' on electric heat vs. oil. Based on the price per KWH in my town, the equivalent in oil is about 4.50/gallon. I paid more than that to fill my tank, the last time. a LOT more. :red: I should've gone to HD and bought a bunch of electric baseboard heaters with that $$; I'd have been better off. Oh, well. live and learn...

I can just see this in the future, having 3 ways to heat the house:

"I'm feeling chilly. Hey, honey? what are we burning, this week? oil, pellets, or electric?"

"I don't know...let me check the newspaper...looks like its oil, this week. The Saudi's just upped production, and the pellet plant shut down for maintenance".

:cheese:

cac4 said:
about half changed to pellets...and the other half are standing in line, waiting for a stove. LOL! %-P

seriously...I have no idea what the numbers are, in terms of "how many'...but I did do some figurin' on electric heat vs. oil. Based on the price per KWH in my town, the equivalent in oil is about 4.50/gallon. I paid more than that to fill my tank, the last time. a LOT more. :red: I should've gone to HD and bought a bunch of electric baseboard heaters with that $$; I'd have been better off. Oh, well. live and learn...

I can just see this in the future, having 3 ways to heat the house:

"I'm feeling chilly. Hey, honey? what are we burning, this week? oil, pellets, or electric?"

"I don't know...let me check the newspaper...looks like its oil, this week. The Saudi's just upped production, and the pellet plant shut down for maintenance".

:cheese:

I have Oil, electric baseboard and a pellet stove to heat my house; going to be pulling the oil boiler and replacing with a heat pump soon. :coolsmirk:

You seem to have hit the nail on the head.It willl probably be the same with our cars .What will we drive today petrol , electric ,hybrid or lpg.We do not need the politicians people are making their own choices on energy whatever works and does not drain the bank a/c.

That is wHere I was going it is going to put a lot of oil back on the market but no one wants it at $4 a gallon.Some of these oil dealers may have to sell it below cost to boost their cashflow.The Saudis understand whats going on in the USA that high price are bad they have seen this before Opec does not get it,we need oil but not at any price

yardleypa said:
I am guessing electricity is cheaper than oil.

That's probably true in a lot of places.

But here outside of Boston we are blessed with sky high electricity prices as well as oil prices. I paid $0.19 per kW-hr on my last bill (although I believe there is a better rate if electricity is your primary heat). At that rate oil would have to go to about $6.20/gallon to be equivalent on a Btu basis.

So for whole-house heat even today's ridiculous oil price is better than electricity here. But if I didn't have the wood insert I'd sure consider a low thermostat setting on the oil system and using electric space heaters as needed.

800,000 AS AT Jan 07 WOW Right now all the pellet stove manufacturers are back ordered and trying to ramp up production .Last
year I bought a mt vernon quad for $2450 I spoke to the dealer recently he told me the price now is nearly a $1000 more than last
year for my model as the demand is so high.My dealer will not sell pellets to anybody only to the people that bought the stove from
him

yardleypa said:
That is wHere I was going it is going to put a lot of oil back on the market but no one wants it at $4 a gallon.Some of these oil dealers may have to sell it below cost to boost their cashflow.The Saudis understand whats going on in the USA that high price are bad they have seen this before Opec does not get it,we need oil but not at any price

Yes, the OPEC ministers (aka Saudia Arabia) know EXACTLY what's going on. When we asked them to boost production, at first they said "NO", but later increased it a little.

Then, when oil prices started to come down, they had a meeting to decide what to do about falling oil prices!!

Gee, I feel bad (NOT)....I guess they can't make enough $$ when it only costs them between $.75 and $1.00 a barrel to pump it out of the ground......hard to believe.

I actually can't wait for them to come running to us when another "situation" arises in the middle east that threatens them and they need help.....I hope whoever is in the White House gets some backbone and says the same thing back to them....NO!

C'mon everybody, burn more wood & pellets!

With you on that we need an energy policy in this country the closest one I have seen is T Boone Pickens and he is not a politician.
But his proposal does make sense we import 13 million barrells a day at $115 per barrell that is 1.5 billion a day gone to our(friends) in the middle east time to wise up and crank up them stoves.I believe for everyone on this site has put 1000 gals of heating oil back on the market and probably $3000 back in their pocket there maybe a pellet shortage here shortly but there definetly will be no oil shortage at these prices

EngineRep said:
yardleypa said:
I am guessing electricity is cheaper than oil.

That's probably true in a lot of places.

But here outside of Boston we are blessed with sky high electricity prices as well as oil prices. I paid $0.19 per kW-hr on my last bill (although I believe there is a better rate if electricity is your primary heat). At that rate oil would have to go to about $6.20/gallon to be equivalent on a Btu basis.

So for whole-house heat even today's ridiculous oil price is better than electricity here. But if I didn't have the wood insert I'd sure consider a low thermostat setting on the oil system and using electric space heaters as needed.

well, I'm only 30 miles north of Boston, and we're only paying 13.5c/kwh. BUT, we have our own municipal power company...not stuck with "mass electric" or "NSTAR" or whatever they're calling themselves this week.
power outages: rare and short-lived.

wonder why electric is (generally) so much more $$ up here vs down south, though? I've seen mention of some electric prices that are like..."half" what we're paying up here. no wonder they're not stuck on heating oil, and they all use electric heat pumps. at those prices, (and mild temperatures), why not?

yardleypa said:
we import 13 million barrells a day at $115 per barrell that is 1.5 billion a day gone to our(friends) in the middle east
Actually we don't get most of our imported oil from the middle east. We imported about 5B barrels last year and only about 800million barrels came from the Persian Gulf. The rest comes from all over the world. Our single biggest source is Canada (895M) then Mexico (560M), with Saudi Arabia (540M) third, Venezuela (496M) and Nigeria (414M) round out the top 5. Notice that only 1 is in the middle east, and our two largest are non-OPEC. Just for grins, did you know that Belgium exports 30M barrels to the US every year? :) Oh, and of those who export to us, Switzerland is last with only 3,000 barrels last year.

This shows Pellet Stove sales for the past ten years to be almost 600,000 with ~300,000 in the last three years alone. This chart comes from HPBA's website.

Attachments

• WONDERING HOW MANY PELLET STOVES IN THE USA
    ushearthgraphfinal.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 478
I live in bucks co pa its around 14c kwh .While our winters are bad I pity the people in Maine I have read a lot of people will either go hungry or cold this winter.Yesterday on the star ledger done an article on the same thing in New Jersey.I donot understand how someone on a fixed income can make ends meet with the high price of oil heat.Thank god I am no longer at their mercy and did make the investment in the stove

yardleypa said:
I live in bucks co pa its around 14c kwh .While our winters are bad I pity the people in Maine I have read a lot of people will either go hungry or cold this winter.Yesterday on the star ledger done an article on the same thing in New Jersey.I donot understand how someone on a fixed income can make ends meet with the high price of oil heat.Thank god I am no longer at their mercy and did make the investment in the stove

Natural gas prices are next. Virginia Natural Gas raised rates 35% on July 1 and here in WV gas co asked Public Utilities Commission for a 42% hike.
http://hamptonroads.com/node/470063

Maybe high oil prices are what this country needs its a wake up call we will find different ways to do things.I was reared in Ireland never heard of a pellet stove as a kid we heated with coal in the fireplace and behind the bricks in the fireplace was a
tank full of water this was then pumped to radiators around the house worked pretty well for such a damp climate but its not as cold there as here.Here the cold is brutal and can kill I had never experienced 10 degrees or for that matter 95 degrees.But my
belief is american ingenuity will prevail.The pellet stove is an alternative so also is a heat pump these things were not around 20 years ago now I see outdoor furnaces ,pellet furnaces and an array of different options.GODDAMN I watched Apollo 13 land on the moon in 1969 in a shop window as we did not have a tv now 38 years later we are trying to figure out how to stay warm without going bankrupt.This country will figure it out and within 5 years oil will not be such an issue they are paying double the cost for oil in europe because the govenment has levied heavy taxes on oil they have weaned themselves off oil now using 1/3 of the US consumption .Oil is so expensive it will not be an option for heating any dealer that tells you to get a more efficient oil burner is just prolonging the agony, you have got to get away from oil and as this forum shows there are ways.By the way if you are wondering what the weather is like in Ireland it sucks only rains twice a week once for 3 days and then for 4 days.One last thing what are all these gombiins doing installing the pellet stoves by themselves for a couple of hundred bucks why not have it done right by a pro and maybe you and your kids can sleep easy.

yardleypa said:
.One last thing what are all these gombiins doing installing the pellet stoves by themselves for a couple of hundred bucks why not have it done right by a pro and maybe you and your kids can sleep easy.

Maybe because a "pro" pellet installer is not readily defined nor are they licensed ?
Or maybe because most installations are quite simple and can be done easily by anyone who can cut a round hole in the wall?
Or maybe because far too many installers charge way more than they should?
Or maybe even after paying so much for a pelletstove there isn`t any cash left to pay someone to do the installation?

macman said:
yardleypa said:

Yes, the OPEC ministers (aka Saudia Arabia) know EXACTLY what's going on. When we asked them to boost production, at first they said "NO", but later increased it a little.

Then, when oil prices started to come down, they had a meeting to decide what to do about falling oil prices!!

Gee, I feel bad (NOT)....I guess they can't make enough $$ when it only costs them between $.75 and $1.00 a barrel to pump it out of the ground......hard to believe.

I actually can't wait for them to running to us when another "situation" arises in the middle east that threatens them and they need help.....I hope whoever is in the White House gets some backbone and says the same thing back to them....NO!

C'mon everybody, burn more wood & pellets!

I personally think North America should bond together and attach the price of wheat to the price of oil. WPEC .
Let em eat oil!!

SparkyDog said:
....I personally think North America should bond together and attach the price of wheat to the price of oil. WPEC. Let em eat oil!!

I agree 1000%

Status
Not open for further replies.