With the colder weather today we tried a new brand of pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
We cleaned the stove thoroughly and started using our Greenway pellets. I do not have a measuring device for the heat output but holy cow does it seem hotter than before. After reading the bag, I realized these are super premium pellets and not just premium. Who knew super made such a difference? Our favorite pellets so far. Still have AWF White Pine and the Okanagan DF to try out. Have to say, very happy with the Greenway so far.

My local HD had Greenway last year, had a few bags left, I missed out, AWF white pine nothing to brag about, you'll find Okanagan DF will be the best, dont know what your waiting for, burn those tommorow night

Hi Pellet Girl, did you guys get your Quads vent leak / smoke smell issues resolved OK?

Hi Pellet Girl, did you guys get your Quads vent leak / smoke smell issues resolved OK?

Unfortunately not yet. He is supposed to come for the repairs after the 9th. Hoping it solves the problem. Thanks for asking!

It must seem like your clothes will go out of style, or spring will come maybe, before he gets your stove install completely dialed in ! ;)

Glad you're up and burning at least, and that you found some good pellets to burn. It seems most of that comes down to trial and error of what burns best in your stove setup, and your desired level of heat output vs tolerable level of cleaning required. I agree with Pellet-king, as cold as it is in the East this week, I'd be burnin' those Oakie DF's in a heartbeat !

I learned not to trust the premium / super premium / platinum ratings that pellet manufacturers grade their pellets as when I burned what were rated as premium pellets my first year of pellet stove ownership, that ended up being literally dirt in a bag. They must have included the dirty bark, leaves, branches, etc in their source sawdust - horrible clinkers, door glass was black after burning the first bag, poor heat output, creosote everywhere in the fire box, etc. The particular brand will remain nameless to 'protect the guilty', but I will say they have improved markedly since that first production year.

The Pellet Fuels Institute does not have exclusive rights to the word “Premium”, so if you see a brand labeled as a “Premium” fuel but it doesn't have the PFI logo on the bag, it's unlikely that the manufacturer is even testing to the same standard.

I don't believe there is any functional industry standard on what constitutes one pellet grade from another, and that it is more about market branding and product promotion than it is a usable pellet quality indicator. Just my .02, FWIIW.

Wait till you start burning those Douglas Fir's, then you'll see heat !

Status
Not open for further replies.