Wireless temperature / Pressure monitor systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felarry

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Greenwood Lake, NY
I have been scouring the internet looking for a simple wireless temperature monitor that will screw into one of the 3/4 in taps on my AHS E180 and provide wireless temperature display upstairs. (Temp / Pressure would be even better).

I cannot find a simple solution.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Larry Slonaker
Greenwood Lake, NY
AHS E180 Wood Gun

Many folks have had good luck with lowly wireless BBQ thermometers. You'd have to find a well that would thread into your port. As far as I know, BBQ systems don't usually measure pressure though.

Does your pressure change enough that you need to monitor it daily? Sounds like that might indicate a problem of some sort.

Of course, if cost is no object and you just want to impress your friends, the NoFossil approach is the ultimate in wireless overkill:

Attachments

• Wireless temperature / Pressure monitor systems
    11_DSC_0834.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 414
  • Wireless temperature / Pressure monitor systems
    11_DSC_0835.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 428
That is where I am headed nofossil. I did order the LCD driver and display so I can read temps out in the boiler shed without my iPhone, but otherwise want to view the status on an iPhone. We are so out in the sticks that we do not have broadband - I have HughesNet instead. Can't run a server on that! However, I CAN exfiltrate data to my office and run the same web software there. I do have 5 bars here though! "Searching..." doesn't happen here, 1 mile from the tower, edven in the basement! Thinking about going to the Virgin Mobile 3G access point instead of HughesNet.

Thanks for all the replys. the nofissil solution is very impressive.

But, what I am really looking for is a very simple wierless temp sensor that will screw into one of the 3/4" threaded taps on the boiler. The other end should be a simple wireless receiver showing the boiler tempeture.

Felarry said:

But, what I am really looking for is a very simple wierless temp sensor that will screw into one of the 3/4" threaded taps on the boiler. The other end should be a simple wireless receiver showing the boiler tempeture.

Sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread. See my first post - wireless barbecue thermometers are a good cheap solution.

Felarry said:

Put an aquastat well in the 3/4 thread and then use any wireless sensor you can find that fits in the well.

nofossil said:
Of course, if cost is no object and you just want to impress your friends, the NoFossil approach is the ultimate in wireless overkill:

The NFCS version I have seems to be missing that page! >:-(

That is what I have in the tank to tell me the temp without having to walk downstairs. AAA batteries seem to last a season before replacing.

Hunderlinger - HughesNet Satellite ? I have AT&T cellular wireless because I can't get cable. Much better response time but ALL incoming ports are blocked so I can't display anything outside the house. Also I was lucky and grandfathered in BEFORE the 5GB limits. They make it useless, they messed up my plan and sent me a 6500.00 bill one month. Fell out of my chair. Things to ask about with cellular internet.

kabbott said:
The NFCS version I have seems to be missing that page! >:-(

<hijack>

That's what you get for building your own! No secret handshake, no fancy real-time graphs. You can try the '7260client' cgi server executable in the utils subdirectory, though......

</hijack>

Where does one buy the NFCS system. The page link has a wealth of info on the system, but I dont see where to buy or how much it is.

Felarry said:
Where does one buy the NFCS system. The page link has a wealth of info on the system, but I dont see where to buy or how much it is.

Well I think this is the official "I want one" thread http://forum.nofossil.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23

Tons of info on nofossil forum, check it out. I built my own with Nofossil's help and it is a great control system.

Nofossil, I was going to ask about the 7260cgihandler in the latest package. Guess I will have to investigate

Status
Not open for further replies.