Winter of 21’ supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Winter of 21’ supply Winter of 21’ supply I’ve been secretly cutting and splitting wood for the winter of 21’
I think I have about 4 cords, won’t know until I stack it this weekend

Looks like 3.5.

I dont like the stacking part! lol

Secretly?!
Yea, around these parts, if an announcement is made that your splitting you tend to get a lot of help, but the help that comes, then expects you to repay the "favor" which unfortunately I don't have the time to do this year.

My brother in law has burned for years and makes fun of me for stacking my wood in neat piles on racks. He keeps his in a big pile. My neighbor keeps his in a pile with a tarp, it's funny when the snows 2-3 feet deep and he has to dig it out.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
so are you going to leave it like that for the winter, or do you have room in your slick sheds for that now?
Bringing home pallets to make nice stacks (OCD)

Bringing home pallets to make nice stacks (OCD)
Nice. I've got a bunch of bucked wood for winter 21-22 currently up on pallets organized nicely that i was planning on leaving until spring to process, but now that my shoulder is healing up i was contemplating splitting it. But that would mean pulling it all off the nicely organized stacks to then re-stack it. hahahaha, keeping me warm 17x over!

Winter of 21’ supply Winter of 21’ supply Winter of 21’ supply Winter of 21’ supply Winter of 21’ supply
Finally had time to start stacking, this is my method, 2 rows on pallets, I leave a gap in the middle, I use 6.5ft metal fence posts, I tie a rope about half up on the stack, the weight of the wood will tighten the rope keeping the posts stable, I then do a center stack on top so when I tarp it, it will shed water and snow.

View attachment 232859 View attachment 232860 View attachment 232861 View attachment 232863 View attachment 232864
Finally had time to start stacking, this is my method, 2 rows on pallets, I leave a gap in the middle, I use 6.5ft metal fence posts, I tie a rope about half up on the stack, the weight of the wood will tighten the rope keeping the posts stable, I then do a center stack on top so when I tarp it, it will shed water and snow.
Brilliant, i shall steal this when i stack this week

View attachment 232859 View attachment 232860 View attachment 232861 View attachment 232863 View attachment 232864
I do it similar only problem I had the first year when it rained the water collapsed the middle. Now I tie the tarps a little tighter.

I do it similar only problem I had the first year when it rained the water collapsed the middle. Now I tie the tarps a little tighter.
That's why I have the center dome, the center stack does (2) things, allows the tarps to have pitch so it sheds water, and the weight of the pile keeps the center rows from moving, locks it in and when the wood shrinks while drying the outside rows will lean into the center and not collapse.

That's why I have the center dome, the center stack does (2) things, allows the tarps to have pitch so it sheds water, and the weight of the pile keeps the center rows from moving, locks it in and when the wood shrinks while drying the outside rows will lean into the center and not collapse.
So how many cords do you think you'll have?

Winter of 21’ supply
Done!!! Stack 1 is 16ft long, stack 2 is 20ft long. I did some quick calculations and I believe I’m about a half cord short of my 4 cord goal, but not to bad, and I have a few more trees on the property I want to take down as soon as the ground drys up or freezes

So you mean 12/2021? Way to get ahead. Ya, it sounds like you are about close to 4 cords, depending on the exact height. If you are averaging 4' that should be 3.4, while 5'=4.2. Is that red oak? Hard to tell from the pics.

I like the metal stakes and center row, that is definitely time efficient. I have a similar setup in my woods but I cross stack the two ends. One trick I do is to stick a split out about 1/3 of the way underneath each grommet of the tarp. It gives it a little bit of overhang. Probably a better method would be to get 4' stakes.

I've barely started on 12/2020 supply. Only have about 2/3 cord of r oak so far but I'm so full that most of it is stacked on the ground waiting for racks to open up...

I might have bad math, the (2) rows are 16ft & 20ft long, the (2) rows come up 4.5ft and average out to 18" long splits so, 3ft wide
then it gets whacky, the one row has the center kicker @ 15ft long and 16" high, the other is 19ft long @ 2ft. It might be close to 4 cords, the more I look at it, and then look at my shed bays I think I might be close to packing it full.
The mixture is red oak, cherry and ash.

I really like the idea of the rope tied halfway up. I think I’ll try this, should cut down on number of t-posts I use.