Will stove and chimney prices come down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is a quote I just received (Canadian dollars):

Super 27 Body with Pedastal and Ash system - $2558
Chimney ICC 6" Ultra Black double wall pipe - $1329
Chimney ICC 6" Excel 650C - $1578
Installation - $1300
Freight - $75
Tax - $889
TOTAL - $7729

I forget the length of the pipe/chimney - I think it's about 15' inside and 6' outside, but I could be off. I was surprised the pipe cost more than the stove.

Anyway, my question is do you think costs will go down next year when (if) the price of steel comes back down? I've yet to find any guesses on this.

Thanks!

Friend is getting that same stove installed with a hearth pad and chimney.not sure what chimney he is getting but it is 5 thousand all in.the osburn I bought had a 300 dollar increase this year.will prices go down,maybe but I highly doubt it and if they do it will not be significant I'm guessing.and I have bought 2 stoves in the last 2 years and have never been charged freight. I would not deal with that place.my dealer gave me 15% off retail on the stove price.

Last edited:
Those prices seems extremely high, check Amazon for prices of those parts, it is way lower... but I could be incorrect or out of the loop since I bought my chimney parts last year

I don’t think anything will go down in the short term (less than 9 months). Chimney systems have been subjected to the same market fluctuations as everything else. Q1 2022 will be an interesting time. Policy decisions that have previously been made impacts should be quantifiable and current policies in the works will have had some time to move markets. I personally think it’s a better time to invest money in improved efficiency of a home than adding/or upgrading wood heating appliances. (I’m probably going to get a new wood insert soon) I really think there will be several (maybe many) new models to choose from in 9 months. But I don’t think they will be cheaper.

And I could be totally wrong about everything….

Evan

Those prices seems extremely high, check Amazon for prices of those parts, it is way lower... but I could be incorrect or out of the loop since I bought my chimney parts last year
You can't buy Excell chimney on Amazon. That is premium pipe and is going to cost more.

I suspect with the current Covid-related headlines, prices on building materials will be high for a while.

Reactions: JimBear
You can't buy Excell chimney on Amazon. That is premium pipe and is going to cost more.
Yea I just bought a pair of stoves for more than I would like, but theh are basically brand new and we are coming into season, plus the market on used stoves is up anyway for the good ones. I went pick them up and they came with 2- 2 ft sections of icc ultrablack and 2-45’s ultrablack. All shiny new stickers on the inside still. So it worked out in the end, I think thats about 200-300 worth of free pipe.

I don’t know wood is already down to near “normal” pricing I don’t think building materials will be expensive forever. All it’s going to take is interest rates going up

Reactions: Shrewboy
Cost of import raw materials is up, shipping those materials is high due to demand and the stance of American labor at the moment isnt a shortage, but a wage war, people really want that $15 minimum hour wage and there more then pacified to stay home or work off the books while collecting state benefits.
I'd like to use a local example here for my area, we are nyc metro - defined as nyc and 75 miles radius of it, we have a local popular gas station chain called Quick Check, they obviously sell gas (cheaper then other places due to whole resale prices) and they have convenience markets that sell on demand fresh food, all items come from corporate supply warehouses, if a typical delivery driver does 50 runs a day, with the virus they were trimmed back to 25 runs, now that things are opened up, corporate wants to fill orders and have them run back to 50 runs a day, the drivers want extra pay (which they are not getting) so they are doing 40 runs a day, and are getting written up, drivers are then finding new jobs as drivers for a different co since there is a shortage, leaving quick check with a bigger issue, thus causes local supply issues in merch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrewboy
It's unlikely prices will come down. Supply chains have been seriously disrupted and could stay that way for a while. This is the new normal.

Reactions: JimBear
Maybe his chimney is shorter? Maybe there's tax on top of the $5000? That is quite a price difference indeed.
probably $5000 American, and your quote is Canadian $$

When I bought my BK and had it installed, I spent more than your quote, and that was 3.5 years ago. Not many people to chose from where I live, so I wanted the stove and it was worth it to me so I went for it. I think that part of the equation has to be how much do you want a wood stove, and is the cost worth it to you?

Good luck!

probably $5000 American, and your quote is Canadian $$

When I bought my BK and had it installed, I spent more than your quote, and that was 3.5 years ago. Not many people to chose from where I live, so I wanted the stove and it was worth it to me so I went for it. I think that part of the equation has to be how much do you want a wood stove, and is the cost worth it to you?

Good luck!
No,it was 5000 canadian taxes in total price.and no freight.

No,it was 5000 canadian taxes in total price.and no freight.
There is freight in the price regardless of whether it's called out or not.

I don’t think anything will go down in the short term (less than 9 months). Chimney systems have been subjected to the same market fluctuations as everything else. Q1 2022 will be an interesting time. Policy decisions that have previously been made impacts should be quantifiable and current policies in the works will have had some time to move markets. I personally think it’s a better time to invest money in improved efficiency of a home than adding/or upgrading wood heating appliances. (I’m probably going to get a new wood insert soon) I really think there will be several (maybe many) new models to choose from in 9 months. But I don’t think they will be cheaper.

And I could be totally wrong about everything….

Evan
I have come to the same conclusion was going to buy chimney prices are insane I'll wait.