Wife...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Had this load ready for me tonight to light when I got home. The wife decided to light it off for me 25 minutes early.

Left the door cracked with air full open.

Came into smokey smoke with Pipe temp at 780 and STT at 885. Be careful with instructions for your significant other.

20190303_121247.jpg

She just get side tracked?

Jokes aside , why it was smoky smoke? Should it just burn like crazy but clean?

There must be another reason it got so hot; That wood barely looks burnt. ;)

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
She thought the wood was wet. I told her we were running low on dry stuff.Also misheard me as saying "Leave door cracked" when I said "Leave cracked for 5 minutes."

It was smokey from the paint burning off/in.

I told her I've been wanting to run it hot like that once but didnt have the balls. Lol

25 minutes from lit to ballsy hot smokin pipe? Wow. Lots of draft on that pipe.

Yeah i got a girlfriend that likes to try and burn my house down any chance she gets too. Her favorite tools are the wood stove and the cook stove but she's adept with electric griddles, candles and hair dryers as well. Im just glad she doesnt smoke or i'd be homeless already.

Yeah i got a girlfriend that likes to try and burn my house down any chance she gets too. Her favorite tools are the wood stove and the cook stove but she's adept with electric griddles, candles and hair dryers as well. Im just glad she doesnt smoke or i'd be homeless already.

Ditto.

780 on the outside of single wall pipe? I hit 1400 on flue probe a week or two ago, probably a similar flue temp. In that particular case it was me, not my wife.

My wife always thinks I'm going to burn the house down with the stove or burn garbage or something weird. She also couldn't understand my "obsession" (attentiveness) to the stove. While I was in the hospital she had to run the stove herself and could barely get it going with me coaching her on the phone. Her best attempts resulted in 700 f peak stove top temps, but it kept the house warm for her, so that's good.

Reactions: Woody Stover
25 minutes from lit to ballsy hot smokin pipe? Wow. Lots of draft on that pipe.

It was a very dry load. Only 12' chimney. But it was windy and 7°F.

I'm still not sure if she understands how bad it was. But, none the less we move on and try to use it as a learning tool.

Other than the super thin airwash deflector plate right on top of the loading door melting I haven’t seen much damage from running the nc30 too hot. Everything look good?

Had this load ready for me tonight to light when I got home. The wife decided to light it off for me 25 minutes early.

Left the door cracked with air full open.

Came into smokey smoke with Pipe temp at 780 and STT at 885. Be careful with instructions for your significant other.

View attachment 241918

Yep, tell me about it! She reads my posts here every once in a while so I leave it at that.

Other than the super thin airwash deflector plate right on top of the loading door melting I haven’t seen much damage from running the nc30 too hot. Everything look good?

Haven't really looked that closely. Nothing was glowing orange so should be alright. I think my airwash was already starting to warp. I was more concerned about my single wall pipe.

Haven't really looked that closely. Nothing was glowing orange so should be alright. I think my airwash was already starting to warp. I was more concerned about my single wall pipe.

I think you should worry more about hidden damage to the chimney. Single wall is easy to inspect and cheap to replace. Almost a maintenance item.

People claim that the fastest way to cool a hot stove is to fling the loading door wide open. Myself, I’d close the door and shut the intake. What did you do?

Here’s how my stove innards glow at just 300 flue surface temps!

Attachments

• 5494CF3B-0324-470E-A53C-773B571E096C.jpeg
    5494CF3B-0324-470E-A53C-773B571E096C.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 323
Yea mine has never looked nothing like that while the flue was over 350 before.

First thing I did was yell at wife. Priorities, ya know haha.

I shut the air all the way.
Gave the door an extra pressure close action.
Threw a magnet halfway on the 2ndery inlet.

Cooled the pipe right off. Took the stove about 4 minutes to get the needle off pegged.

Luckily, stove is right by garage door, which I popped open to 7° air to get the smoke outta there.

Like I said, I was busy checking the stove pipe with my IR gun wasnt really worried about the stove itself.

Reactions: Highbeam
lol.

I have a wife who loves to scold me when I attempt to explain to her how to run OUR stove, because she grew up with one at her parent's house. The only time we had a chimney fire was when a load of honey locust took off earlier this year, and I happened to notice it when I for whatever reason decided to look out our bedroom window at the chimney before getting in the shower. Run downstairs half naked to cut the air off, she's just sitting near the stove on her phone totally oblivious to the roaring inferno and jet plane sounds coming from the chimney.

I will say she's never filled our house with smoke, but she's certainly good at filling the neighborhood with smoke.

My wife basically runs the house, and I take care of everything outside. I let go and let her do her thing - she's pretty good at it. So at first it was hard for her to let go of the stove, mostly because she takes pride in being so dang independent. I can do it - I don't need to be told. But I just kept talking, and she would bristle, and I would talk some more, and I would ask how can I get the message across that a ten year old can run this thing, but anyone can screw it up. She's gotten it down. And she's proud of the independence.

My wife is really uninterested in the stove, and anything with "and then sit here for 15-30 minutes and keep turning this lever down" in it would be a no-go.

The answer (which has been surprisingly effective) has been a BK. The stove does its own air diddling, and she has no need to ever start a fire since it doesn't go out during heating season. (She also almost never needs to load it unless I'm out of town, so it's a non-issue in all but the coldest weather.)

She could potentially still melt it into a puddle by leaving the door open, but since "leave the door cracked" is not even in her operating procedure, it isn't likely.

Reactions: Ashful
My wife has no interest in learning how to run the stove which is fine because I have no interest in teaching her, I like our house and dont want it burned down.

My wife is really uninterested in the stove, and anything with "and then sit here for 15-30 minutes and keep turning this lever down" in it would be a no-go.

The answer (which has been surprisingly effective) has been a BK. The stove does its own air diddling, and she has no need to ever start a fire since it doesn't go out during heating season. (She also almost never needs to load it unless I'm out of town, so it's a non-issue in all but the coldest weather.)

She could potentially still melt it into a puddle by leaving the door open, but since "leave the door cracked" is not even in her operating procedure, it isn't likely.
I have never sat by a stove for 15 to 20 mins messing with the air. I really didn't have to mess with the regency any more than I do the princess. Load it and then shut the air back twice come back in 8 to 10 hours to do it again. The princess I load it come back to close the bypass then come back to set the dial.

Let your wife know this can happen to anybody. As folks are noting it can even happen to an experienced wood burner. A few days ago I reloaded the stove first thing in the morning as normal, then set a timer on my phone for 5 minutes. At the 5 minute point I turned down the air 50% and reset the timer for another 5 minutes and went in my office to check emails. About 3 minutes later i'm hearing the tick tick sound of the stove pipe getting hot. I got up and found a great ball of fire going off and probe flue temp approaching 1200º. It cooled down in a few minutes, but has me seriously thinking of putting in a digital thermometer system with an alarm.

Reactions: Dix and Ashful
I've gotten the surface temp on my flue to 450 once, so yeah, it can happen to anyone. Luckily the house is small so we heard the pipe getting hot just as it happened to Begreen. A gust can come through and change the burn and you might not notice.

I am so glad I was not eating or drinking anything when I read this, or the living room would be a mess, lol.

The other one with his wife on the phone next to the jet engine disguised as a wood stove was good, too.

I've not had mine as hot as you guys (yet, I guess). Flue outside hits about 350, stove top a little over 500, fans going, everybody's almost naked, sweating. I've not loaded it like the pic, either. Wife wants to learn it, she patiently waits while I learn it first.

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
I’m sure I’ve done plenty of things wrong since I’ve only got one season (and an unsuccessful one at that) under my belt but I’ve also almost been rendered homeless by my significant other. This was when we were “learning to use” the fisher that came with the house. Our wood was terribly under-seasoned combined with what seems to be a poor draft. She knew that keeping the door open would get it going faster so she loaded it and sat down in front of it with the door open absorbing all that glorious heat. Needless to say Lady Narcolepsy passed out and was thankfully woken up by the sound of a log almost rolling out the door.

Now that I’ve got the Drolet furnace operating she has no parts of operating it yet. Once I’ve got a good draft established I can start to teach her, until then it’s a bit tricky to explain when and how to shimmy the nail as the fire gets going to close the air incrementally

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer