Why double wall $$$$$$$$ pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Probably this topic has been beat to death, but why do pellet stoves require such a high priced vent when the exhaust temps run so much cooler than woodstoves? I grew up with wood stoves, ran single wall pipe, 3 or 4 stoves in the same flue, just brick, no liner, remember sparks flying out, have to push the pipe ba ck together every time you filled the stove, stovepipe just a-glowin' when the fire got going good. Probably a reson, but can't figger it out. Can somebody explain it in words I can understand? Keep in mind, I'm old and feeble and I don't hear real good, so talk slow, andf speak up.

hossthehermit said:
Probably this topic has been beat to death, but why do pellet stoves require such a high priced vent when the exhaust temps run so much cooler than woodstoves? I grew up with wood stoves, ran single wall pipe, 3 or 4 stoves in the same flue, just brick, no liner, remember sparks flying out, have to push the pipe ba ck together every time you filled the stove, stovepipe just a-glowin' when the fire got going good. Probably a reson, but can't figger it out. Can somebody explain it in words I can understand? Keep in mind, I'm old and feeble and I don't hear real good, so talk slow, andf speak up.
Because of liability lawsuits. The stuff we used to do has the potential for causing a fire - that fire would be blamed on everyone associated with the installation (except the homeowner burning the stove cherry red & not ever cleaning the chimney) in the event someone has lots of insurance. So, the insurance rates go up, the companies (product mfg's & installers) scream "it was to code" so the code gets changed and new products required. The new stuff lessens the likelihood a stupid person will hurt himself (not eliminate it, but does lessen it). It's the story of our society in a nutshell.

hossthehermit said:
Probably this topic has been beat to death, but why do pellet stoves require such a high priced vent when the exhaust temps run so much cooler than woodstoves?

Because the exhaust temps are so much cooler.

Most any time that you burn a fuel, there is a small amount of acid produced, along with water. As long as the gas temp is hot, the acid stays as a gas, and the water is in the form of steam. So, they travel outside and go on their merry way.

At cooler temps, the acid and steam may condense into liquid, and eat away at the pipe. The high-quality stainless, double-wall pipe is designed to be able to survive that sort of potential abuse for a longer period of time than single-wall, galvanized pipe would be able to.

Joe

BrownianHeatingTech said:
hossthehermit said:
Probably this topic has been beat to death, but why do pellet stoves require such a high priced vent when the exhaust temps run so much cooler than woodstoves?

Because the exhaust temps are so much cooler.

Most any time that you burn a fuel, there is a small amount of acid produced, along with water. As long as the gas temp is hot, the acid stays as a gas, and the water is in the form of steam. So, they travel outside and go on their merry way.

At cooler temps, the acid and steam may condense into liquid, and eat away at the pipe. The high-quality stainless, double-wall pipe is designed to be able to survive that sort of potential abuse for a longer period of time than single-wall, galvanized pipe would be able to.

Joe

Well, I guess that sorta makes sense. So does the liability issue. Thanks, guys.

80% of solid fuel fires are related to improper install

compare pellet vent to 6" or 8" double wall or triple wall pipe.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
compare pellet vent to 6" or 8" double wall or triple wall pipe.

Eric

ya...which is a major reason I went w/ a pellet stove vs. a wood burner. the higher cost of the pellet stove is way more than off-set by the low cost of the chimney, which, in my house (2 stories) would be "thousands" of dollars. If I had a house w/ a low roof line (ranch or cape, etc), I'd have done wood years ago.

Browie has it right - lower temp flue gases often end up causing more corrosion than higher.
Another part of the pie is that these are positive pressure pipes, so they must fit tight...whereas wood stove chimney connectors are negative pressure. In other words, a loose fitting pellet vent system would leak exhaust into the house, while the same would not usually happen with a wood stove.

Lastly, the steep rise in metals prices is somewhat to blame. A few years ago, pellet vent cost much less.

[quote author="Webmaster" date="1218826268"

Lastly, the steep rise in metals prices is somewhat to blame. A few years ago, pellet vent cost much less.[/quote]

Just told by my Distributor that Dura Vent has a 6% increase coming on anything after Sept. 1st.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.