Why did you choose Ideal steel over Progress or vice versa?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
Eventually I will be purchasing a Wood Stock stove (unless some crazy deal comes along for a BK for the thermostat) but wanted to hear why you guys picked one over the other? I keep going back and forth on which one I would like the best. Money isn’t a problem for me b/c I will just save longer if the price is more (4-6 year plan). I also have the space for either (as long as I have the shield on the progress anyways). I have a summers heat 2000 that I finally have running well (had air infiltration issues from the door and ash dump) but am looking forward to a more efficient unit.

has anyone owned both? Know if Wood stock has plans to update either stove with newer features?

Know if Wood stock has plans to update either stove with newer features?
Hope so. Neither of these stoves is 2020 NSPS compliant yet.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hope so. Neither of these stoves is 2020 NSPS compliant yet.

O no... I have been with my wife way to long I think. She is a language major and is constantly correcting everyone on our grammar. I read your sentence and immediately thought “wait, there should be an “are” in place of “is”.” I know this because she just corrected me again ,recently, on proper something or other agreements or something plural...

anyways, I was under the false impression that they were 2020 compliant. Anyone have other updates to this?

there’s no way they won’t certify those stoves, low emissions is the whole point of their hybrids and they have been well under the requirements for 2020 since they came out

I've been looking at the Ideal Steel as well, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Since these are made to order, am I correct in thinking one could be purchased right up until the drop dead date in May, even if they aren't 2020 certified? (The reviews are great, but the IS is not a pretty stove,even before you go welding motorcycle sprockets on it all willy nilly.)

Just because they are not on the December list does not mean that they won't be certified eventually. Testing takes time and money. For a small company like Woodstock the hit is harder than for big companies.

there’s no way they won’t certify those stoves, low emissions is the whole point of their hybrids and they have been well under the requirements for 2020 since they came out

I can see how you might think so but all previous test results are irrelevant since the 2020 compliance test is completely different. This is a bummer for those of us with pre2020 stoves that want to compare our old stuff to the new 2020 models to see if it’s worth the upgrade.
It’s also a bummer for stove companies that have to spend money taking the new test to get 2020 certification.

that said, Woodstock makes awesome stoves that should have no problem passing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nigel459
The IS is larger and is more capable of longer burns. For whatever reason, the low end is lower and that’s a good thing. More control. Welded steel is superior to me and the basic version IS is less gawdy. I would choose IS.

the ph is more money, side load only, made of stone (not a plus to me) , really expensive, really heavy, but looks great.

Last edited:
I agree with welded steel being better. Looked at a Hearthstone (Manchester?) a few months ago, and the back plate was loose. If you can't bolt that piece of cast on properly at the factory, what gives the customer confidence that the rest is properly connected.......not an issue with steel.

I agree with welded steel being better. Looked at a Hearthstone (Manchester?) a few months ago, and the back plate was loose. If you can't bolt that piece of cast on properly at the factory, what gives the customer confidence that the rest is properly connected.......not an issue with steel.
Yeah, welded seams will never leak. The other side of that coin is that cast iron or stone stoves can be re-built, so you can keep them forever. If a steel stove warps or rusts, you may be SOL.

Reactions: fire_man
I bought a progress hybrid and installed it November 2018. I bought it over the steel stoves based on looks and weight. I like the classic look and the thermal advantage of the soapstone. To early to tell if I made the right call. Like discussed earlier the steel stoves probably require less maintenance.
Mid 20's low temps and above I load on a 12 hour burn cycle. Teens and below switch to a 8 hour cycle.

I put a deposit on the IS but found it I couldn't fit it into my fireplace so switched to the PH, Im happy with the PH but a couple of advantages the IS has is it can burn low and slower in shoulder season, has a more square box, can almost put out the heat of the PH and is cheaper. If I could have chosen between the two the IS would have won hands down, Not to say I'm not happy with the PH, it throws a ton of heat when needed and has a pretty long burn time though not as long as the IS. In my favor the PH is better looking.

I'm not as familiar with the IS but have the PH. The PH is definitely a better-looking stove. Also, when loaded with red oak, white oak, or locust, I typically get burn times of 12 to 14 hours which I don't think are much shorter than reported IS times. Regarding your choice, it is probably more preference than functionality. Both stoves are great and should meet your needs.

I'm not as familiar with the IS but have the PH. The PH is definitely a better-looking stove. Also, when loaded with red oak, white oak, or locust, I typically get burn times of 12 to 14 hours which I don't think are much shorter than reported IS times. Regarding your choice, it is probably more preference than functionality. Both stoves are great and should meet your needs.

Even the tiny stoves from Woodstock can do 12 hours on low. User reports are people getting 24 hours from a loaded IS when running low. That’s respectable and getting within spitting distance of a BK. Remember, whether this is enough output to heat your home is irrelevant. You might need the higher setting which will only last 12 hours.

The new 2020 test results will provide truth about the btu output of these stoves as well. I suspect both of these stoves will have lower output than what had been advertised.

Btw, begreens grammar was correct. Ask Mrs. Snaple....

There's nothing wrong with a 12 hour burn, if that's what the IS will do. I don't expect to take a long weekend away and have my stove still going.

As for warping, you'd have to abuse a stove pretty badly to warp 1/4" steel. Rust can be dealt with.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Btw, begreens grammar was correct. Ask Mrs. Snaple....

There's nothing wrong with a 12 hour burn, if that's what the IS will do. I don't expect to take a long weekend away and have my stove still going.

As for warping, you'd have to abuse a stove pretty badly to warp 1/4" steel. Rust can be dealt with.

You may be correct. I wouldn’t know. English wasn’t a subject I focused on like I should have. I did re-read what I wrote and can now see how that comes off as me being an a$$. With that, begreens, my apologies for the comment. I have no place to correct or attempt to correct someone’s grammar or spelling.

I wonder if woodstock would use some of the designs of the IS (lower burn rate, the auto air thing) on the PH. since they have to retest anyways it might be a good opportunity to change a few things? I lean more to the IS personally for the lower burn rate but really like the look of the PH.

If I had a house sized/heat load for those two I would go with the PH, mostly based on looks. The IS should be in a workshop.

I've been looking at the Ideal Steel as well, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Since these are made to order, am I correct in thinking one could be purchased right up until the drop dead date in May, even if they aren't 2020 certified? (The reviews are great, but the IS is not a pretty stove,even before you go welding motorcycle sprockets on it all willy nilly.)
I was just going to get all black with gold trim but I have to agree, when I first saw them I didnt like the looks. The real time burn rates seem to be accurate though and I hear they can throw some serious heat if needed.

I have the progress hybrid. I chose it for looks, higher max btu output, fire show and the covered cook top. Granted I haven’t used the cook top as much as I thought I would due to getting a wood cook stove as well.

I have been very pleased with it. I would purchase again.

Reactions: SpaceBus