Who lost this primary feather?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Somebody is getting a little less lift on their left side.

Red tailed hawk?

Maybe. It’s not a red tail tail feather, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a wing of theirs.

Their wing feathers are barred.

That could still be a match. I’m not sure how much variation there is between birds. There certainly are enough red tails around here.

I got to see a nice scene yesterday on a walk. I always check out an eagle's nest. Nothing was happening, but on my way back I saw some large birds flying nearby above the tree canopy so I stood and waiting. Sure enough, a young eagle landed followed by mom or dad. Pretty cool!

• Love
Reactions: stoveliker
Nice! I haven’t seen a young eagle. I’ve seen juveniles, but they were already pretty big birds.

Nice! I haven’t seen a young eagle. I’ve seen juveniles, but they were already pretty big birds.
Yes, this baby was pretty big, I think they care for them for a few years. Its feathers were brown still. I am wondering if this is from last year's hatching.

Never would have guessed that! Lol. It was found in the middle of a troubled youth compound!