Whitfield Traditions T-300 starts up, then stops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2015
New England
This will for SURE drive my husband to buy that vintage Morso red wood stove he's been dreaming about.

Here's the deal:

We pulled out the Whitfield Quest Insert from the fireplace and sold it last year. Had a free standing Whitfield Advantage II which is a workhorse. But it's big and sorta clunky and we got a very pretty Whitfield Traditions from the inlaws who are going to natural gas. Our thought - put the Advantage in another part of the house (our house is an "L" shape and one stove doesn't heat the entire thing), and the Traditions is a lower profile, prettier stove to look at so it goes into the big open living room/dining room.

He worked on that stove ALL FRICKIN day yesterday, cleaning it, replacing the firebrick, the glass door - make sure it was in tip-top shape. Brought it in to the house - it runs thru it's "start-up mode", then the auger stops and the entire thing shuts down.

Thinking it's the photo eye - he REMOVES ALL THE PELLETS from the hopper (what genius designed that?), removed the eye and cleaned it. Went thru this process over and over and OVER again til I thought his head might explode. Same result.

Reading on this forum makes me think that this stove is a POS and not worth fixing (and it's likely 17 years old). But I really, really don't want to deal with a wood stove.

Any advice? I felt bad as he put so much work into fixing this all up yesterday and to have to mess around with it for hours - just praying it would keep running more than 8 mins is very frustrating.

The other weird thing is that when it WAS running for those short spurts, the air coming out the right side was hotter than the left side. Likely not running long enough, though.

Oh. And when the whole thing shuts down, the green light on the control board flashes. He's concerned that the control board is bad. Is there a way to check that?

Thanks,

Kara

Last edited:
That stupid eye had-has a work around. I would try and just connect the wires to the eye together behind the stove to test. The eye can be replaced with a normal snap switch mounted on the exhaust fan housing. Theres even a port with a cover there for it. Many here have done it.

The low temp snap switch on the exhaust housing comes to mind.

Be sure it is working

The snap switch should have continuity after about 10 minutes or so.

If the low temp switch fails the stove will stop working after the startup cycle times out

Status
Not open for further replies.