whitfield advantage ii-t ash door not closing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jamoose

Dec 23, 2020
Massachusetts
hello all,
New to the forum and after searching for an answer to this, thought I'd post here to see if anyone has some thoughts on an issue. I've noticed that the glass on the stove is blackening quickly (which is reasonably new to this stove) and after doing some web searches, learned that this is mostly likely due to an air leak in a seal. The mail door seems to be fine and the ash door is ajar. For whatever reason, the gasket seems to be binding at the hinge area making it difficult for the catch (a push-in affair) to hold the door closed. Has anyone experienced this? I have removed the gasket, scraped off any residue and reapplied the gasket to the same result. Any thoughts?

thanks!

May have to go with a smaller gasket in the hinge area to allow it to close and lock