Whitfield Advantage ii Room Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clincoln007

Oct 11, 2014
mass
Help! My room blower keeps turning itself off and the stove keeps running. What causes this? Anyone know how to fix it or what to check? Is the blower motor bad? It comes back on and seems to be running fine then it turns off.

the engine overheats and stops by the thermal protection and when he returned cooled and so on

the engine overheats and stops by the thermal protection and when he returned cooled and so on

Ok, is there a way to fix that or do I need a new motor? Could this be caused by the blower motor being dirty? I have cleaned and oiled the combustion motor and try to keep the rest of the stove pretty clean but I've never touched the room blower (convection) motor. Does anyone know how to clean it or check if it's clogged? Could that even be the issue? Any help would be HUGE I have 4 kids who are going to be popsicles tonight if i can't figure it out. THANKS!

Does it make any kind of odd noise when it starts running? Smell anything back there like burning or hot plastic? Could be a loose wire if the fan isn't bad. Loose connection to the control board, etc. Not sure how to diagnose without taking it apart and digging in there. Have you looked at the owners manual for an exploded diagram?

stop the engine and check if the engine is hard to turn if there ESR hard to try to lubricate the rotating sleeve with oil 3 in 1 also check the holes to cool the engine are not clogged

Does it make any kind of odd noise when it starts running? Smell anything back there like burning or hot plastic? Could be a loose wire if the fan isn't bad. Loose connection to the control board, etc. Not sure how to diagnose without taking it apart and digging in there. Have you looked at the owners manual for an exploded diagram?

The first time it happened I shut down the stove and opened up the side pannel while the stove was still shutting down. It started back up on it's own while I was waiting for the stove to cool down and it's been fine for a couple weeks. Today my wife called me at work and said it shut off, I told her to shut it down and I would look at it when i got home, then she said it came back on. An hour later she said it went off again. It's only the blower motor the stove continues to drop pellets and the exhaust motor stays on. I am so confused. Can a blower motor over heat? Can it get clogged?

It can overheat and shut down. Blow compressed air (not just out of a can) through the windings to blow the dust out. The dust blocks the cooling airflow for the motor.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the info. When I get home I'll be pulling it apart, sounds like a fun night!!! Is the blower hard to remove? It doesn't making any noises or cause any burning smells.

Yes the windings of the motor can collect large amounts of dust and pet hair causing the thermal protection to start shutting the motor down to prevent it from burning itself up. Also if the motor has oilable bearings they can start pulling the motor down if not been oiled and causing the motor to work harder and overheat too. Best to remove the entire assembly and blow out the residing dust bunnies and clean the fins of the fan with a soft paint brush. Not a hard project on Whits :) Good luck

Thanks, the stove is about 20 yrs old but has run great until this! I have only had it for a year though and don't know if the previous owner vaccumed the blower motor out. Does it clip in with a wiring harness?

It could have spade connectors or go to a simple terminal strip. Either way very simple

I know some fans that have screens on the sides of them that are also in homes with pets..well those screens will get clogged with dust and pet hair. This too will cause the fans to overheat. Not sure if your fan has this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.