Whitfield Advantage II Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advantage II Darryl

Jul 27, 2012
Machias, Washington
I bought my stove new in 1994 and have maintaned it myself all along and it works great. We burn about 4 tons per year. The problem I'm having is when I start the stove. Late last winter when restarting the stove after cleaning we noticed it went off after a short time. I restarted the stove and it did the same thing so I held down the start button for about 15 seconds longer and it stayed running. I continued doing this a couple of more times before we were done using the stove until next fall. Now I've started on the major summer maintenance I do every year. I remembered the problem I was having so I wanted to fix that first thing. I pluged in the stove and was going to see how it acted when I tried to start it up. When I released the start button the stove shuts down immediately. I disconnected the Low Limit switch wires and tested the switch, it checks open. I'm thinking it might be the timer circuit on the board ?. What's your thought ?

How long did it run before it shut off? You tested the low limit switch and it was open, I assume that was with no heat. Did you heat it up and check that it had closed? Have you tested your vacuum switch?

How long did it run before it shut off? You tested the low limit switch and it was open, I assume that was with no heat. Did you heat it up and check that it had closed? Have you tested your vacuum switch?
vac switch would only cut power to the auger. sounds like a worn out switch or relay

vac switch would only cut power to the auger. sounds like a worn out switch or relay

I didn't lite a fire because I knew I would need to hold the start button in for 30 seconds or more because as soon as I took my finger off the button the fans stop running. The next thing I did was put a long hose on the vacuum switch, hooked up my meter and gently blew in it. The switch changed back and forth from open to closed and I put a new piece of hose on it when I was done checking it. Next I removed the low limit switch, took it to the garage and hooked my meter to it and it was open. I left the meter hooked up and started heating it up with a heat gun. The switch closed and opened again when it cooled down. I think next I will remove the board and test a few things. Thanks

Your board have the old style knobs or led push button style?

Or you could upgrade to the newer board

Status
Not open for further replies.