Whitfield Advantage II Control Board Lights Flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KLM

Jan 30, 2021
ONTARIO
Hello

I did a thorough cleaning on my pellet stove today. When I went to restart it the heat and blower lights were both flashing at the same time. It is now only burning in low mode. I checked the jumper cable on the control panel and tried reattaching it a few times and it doesn't appear to be faulty. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

With an ohmmeter you can easily check if there is something broken in the two wires between the control panel and the jumper terminal on the back of stove.
If you don't have any plans of using a thermostat, you could also make the jumper connection directly at the control board. See picture.
And while you're in there, check if the solderings of the spade connectors on the circuit board are ok. They may need a little reflow with some fresh tin.
II-t control panel.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Could you please show what the jumper terminal on the back of the stove is?

The red jumper cable is attached to the bottom of the contol board. The multimeter gives a reading of 0.3.

Lights are still flashing and it won't move out of low mode.

Blower and auger are working without issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Whitfield Advantage II Control Board Lights Flashing
    20210131_121004.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Whitfield Advantage II Control Board Lights Flashing
    20210131_121049.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 144
The "jumper terminal" on the back of the stove is actually the terminal to attach the thermostat.
Whitfield Advantage II Control Board Lights Flashing
And the jumper is directly connected to your control board with a reading of 0.3 Ohm. I'm afraid something is faulty deeper inside the electronics on the circuit board. We have a serious problem now. You may have to have the board repaired. Way cheaper than a new replacement.

Reactions: KLM
The "jumper terminal" on the back of the stove is actually the terminal to attach the thermostat.
View attachment 273280
And the jumper is directly connected to your control board with a reading of 0.3 Ohm. I'm afraid something is faulty deeper inside the electronics on the circuit board. We have a serious problem now. You may have to have the board repaired. Way cheaper than a new replacement.

Perfect. Thank you.
We will be reaching out to have it repaired. What would you guess to be a reasonable control board repair cost to range from?

There's Heatwave electronics repair service based in California.
$150,- for a standard repair. Link:

And there's David in Canada. I think he must be closer to you in Ontario. Link to David:

Last edited:
Reactions: KLM
There's Heatwave electronics repair service based in California.
$150,- for a standard repair. Link:

And there's David in Canada. I think he must be closer to you in Ontario. Link to David:
Thanks for the info.
We had Dave fix it today :)

Reactions: Stovensen
Congratulations :) Now enjoy the heat.
Pardon me for being a bit curious, but did Dave give you any technical details of what was wrong the board, bad solderings, components etc.?

I did not speak with him personally, but from what I hear it was an issue with the jumper terminals inside of the control board. Something to the effect that the jumper cable may have gotten bumped when cleaning and it caused something to break inside the control board.
Unfortunately, the warmth was not enjoyed long as there are more issues and I just about to make another post.