White powder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Have this white powder looking stuff on the top of my stove and on the secondary burn tubes...what is it? What is causing it and what do i use to get it off?

Midnight drug runners? lol

Sounds like ash, a picture would help.

probably ash, when the fire smolders even a little bit (esp. during cold starts) it forms black soot on the walls, top and sides of the stove. After it gets up to temp, that soot will burn and leave the white powdery residue (ash) behind. It happens to the best of them out there.

Using anti creosoot spray will really bring it out. You would be surprised how much is in there.

Scotty Overkill said:
probably ash, when the fire smolders even a little bit (esp. during cold starts) it forms black soot on the walls, top and sides of the stove. After it gets up to temp, that soot will burn and leave the white powdery residue (ash) behind. It happens to the best of them out there.

Is this a bad thing and how do i get rid of it?

RORY12553 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

everybody gets it to some extent, it won't hurt anything. To help prevent it, when starting a fire or reloading on a bed of coals, leave the door cracked open to let the fire get going before you shut it down. You can use a brass bristle brush to remove it, when the stove is cool. Or you could do like I do, and don't bother with it until you're done burning for the season. Do you have any pics, is it really bad?

Is this a very fine, very light powder? Sounds like ash. Ash on the top outside of the stove gets there when you open the door, load wood, or remove ashes. It is carried by the rising hot air. It is a pain but I don't think it has anything to do with how the stove is running. I guess if you have no ash at all that is a sign your stove is way too cool (not even lit), but otherwise you're going to produce ash. Ash on the burn tubes could just be something that happens in your stove due to the way the air moves inside the stove. Maybe it is simply ash that wafts up there during the burn cycle. I regularly get ash deposited on the glass when the wood pops - it is not preceded by soot or creosote, but ust appears there suddenly. Ash can end up anywhere inside the stove.

Scotty Overkill said:
RORY12553 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

everybody gets it to some extent, it won't hurt anything. To help prevent it, when starting a fire or reloading on a bed of coals, leave the door cracked open to let the fire get going before you shut it down. You can use a brass bristle brush to remove it, when the stove is cool. Or you could do like I do, and don't bother with it until you're done burning for the season. Do you have any pics, is it really bad?

First season burning so I notice every little thing that is different than what the stove looked like originally. I will take a pic tomorrow when I get home and post it. I just want to make sure it is nothing to be concerned with. Glass is mostly always clean besides some ash getting on it from pops etc. Never black just gets tan from ash etc i guess.

My glass gets ash, soot, etc. on it when I burn even though my firewood is nice and seasoned. After a few days of burning the glass will seem pretty clean but if the stove cools and I wipe the glass with a rag it looks a lot clearer, and I realize it wasn't completely clean.

RORY12553 said:
Scotty Overkill said:
RORY12553 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

First season burning so I notice every little thing that is different than what the stove looked like originally. I will take a pic tomorrow when I get home and post it. I just want to make sure it is nothing to be concerned with. Glass is mostly always clean besides some ash getting on it from pops etc. Never black just gets tan from ash etc i guess.
there's nothing wrong with being extra cautious, I am the same way! I'm sure it is just ash, and as I said we ALL get it the same as you. You'll be fine. If you get us a pic we'll be better able to determine exactly what you are questioning. But I'm pretty sure it is what I said already.

The super fine stuff that reminds you of flour is fly ash.

Nothing really to add here except to say . . . fly ash . . . no worries . . . it can be a bit messy if it spills out on the hearth or when it gets on the glass . . . but it is not something you need to remove from the baffle or secondary burn tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.