white and red oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
A new neighbor recently had a bunch of trees taken down. It had been sitting on the ground for at least a week. I was talking to him last weekend, and asked what he was planning to do with all the wood. He said the tree company wanted too much to haul it away, so he was going to leave it. I started salivating. He said, You can have it all.

I started cutting it up yesterday afternoon when it was 87. The pictures don't do it justice. There have to be at least 3 cord, possibly 4. I usually don't cut when its above 60 degrees, but I can't pass this up.

Mostly white and red oak, with some red maple, black cherry, and white pine.

It was a glorious weekend! My wife and I camped Friday night, then hiked Monadnock Saturday morning. Came home Saturday afternoon and took the kids to Lowell Spinners baseball game that night. I cut wood for 3 hours Sunday afternoon, and the took the kids to the lake for some swimming to cool off. Life is good! 20190714_142357.jpg 20190714_142336.jpg

Attachments

• 20190714_141901.jpg
    20190714_141901.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 20190714_141858.jpg
    20190714_141858.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 303
Just finished stacking it all. It took about 3.5 months to cut, split, and stack it all. It ended up being about 5 cord. 3 cord of oak. And 2 cord of cherry, red maple, and birch.

Mein Gott! Look at all that oak! That is a beautiful sight.

Forgot to mention, it was all hand split, too! And some of those pieces were knotty! If I ever get a load like that again, I will definitely get a splitter. But, it was a great workout!