Whistling when Bypass closed - Lopi Revere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OregonMike

Dec 4, 2018
Portland, OR
This forum has been a great resource. I live in Portland and the Buck Stove 2700 that was originally in my home when I purchased it was actually illegally left by the previous owners, Oregon law requires non compliant stoves to be removed by the seller, my realtor missed a check box.

Anyway, I finally took the time and effort to replace it with a modern EPA certified stove which ended up involving completely redoing the hearth and mantle. I decided to go with a Lopi Revere, Its a small house only, 1300 sq ft and its been heating beautifully since I got it, easily getting a 9 hour burn overnight. The only problem I've noticed is a rather loud wind sound, almost like a whistling when I close the bypass damper which continues until the coaling stage of my burn. I've checked the door seal which seems solid. and it doesn't seem to make any noise when I have the bypass open. Any ideas what could be causing it?

Before
After

My Regency I3100L would do the same thing when I shut down the primary air.
Turned out to be sharp burrs on the EPA hole.
This hole won't allow you to completely damp down the fire, but will allow for only
an 80% reduction in combustion air. I found the hole on the lower right side of the
insert body & hit the inner & outer edges with a rat tail file & the harmonic stopped...

my Lopi Cape Cod Insert does the same thing. Close the bypass and it will whistle ever so faintly. Close the primary and force more air through the secondaries and it gets louder. Never been loud enough to make me try to fix. My fans are always on some level of sort and the TV so i cant hear it unless I'm right next to it (1-2 feet)

My Regency I3100L would do the same thing when I shut down the primary air.
Turned out to be sharp burrs on the EPA hole.
This hole won't allow you to completely damp down the fire, but will allow for only
an 80% reduction in combustion air. I found the hole on the lower right side of the
insert body & hit the inner & outer edges with a rat tail file & the harmonic stopped...
That makes sense, the EPA holes are on the hinge side of the door, I'll have to check that they're smooth tonight.

my Lopi Cape Cod Insert does the same thing. Close the bypass and it will whistle ever so faintly. Close the primary and force more air through the secondaries and it gets louder. Never been loud enough to make me try to fix. My fans are always on some level of sort and the TV so i cant hear it unless I'm right next to it (1-2 feet)
Mine is a little more noticeable, can hear it whistling from the kitchen.

That makes sense, the EPA holes are on the hinge side of the door, I'll have to check that they're smooth tonight.
What holes are you referring to? All your incoming air is allowed in through the main air control under the stove.

The whistle is most likely coming from around the bypass rod. There’s a fair amount of tolerant allowed between the bypass rod and the flue collar.

What holes are you referring to? All your incoming air is allowed in through the main air control under the stove.

The whistle is most likely coming from around the bypass rod. There’s a fair amount of tolerant allowed between the bypass rod and the flue collar.
There are two slits cut into the door behind the hinges let air into the stove. They didn't appear to be the source, if its coming from the bypass is it the draft pulling too much air?

There are two slits cut into the door behind the hinges let air into the stove. They didn't appear to be the source, if its coming from the bypass is it the draft pulling too much air?
Can you post a pic of these slits?

I assume what you are seeing is where the door barrel passes through the body of the stove and is welded on the back side.
This whistle typically happens when draft is excessive. 20’+ flue and the colder it gets the pronounced it can become.

Can you post a pic of these slits?
As I was getting closer, it looks like the slits are just space for the hinges, the glass is actually behind them. I have a relatively short internal chimney, runs between the living room and laundry room from a 1 story house.