Whistling during windy day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Living

Jan 7, 2015
PA
Does anyone else experience a whistle every now and again during windy days? I'm sure its from the wind going across the top of the liner or cap, but I'm surprised I can hear it that well inside the house... sounds like it comes from inside the stove!

Can't say I ever noticed it. But if it's from the wind going over the open chimney, I would expect you would hear it at the stove. What's your cap look like?

A low moaning sound can be wind over the top of the flue. A higher whistle could be air going rapidly past the air intake valve.

Yep,ours sings every time we get high winds.

It happens only when there are very strong winds and it sounds more like a low pitched moan, barely audible, but it's there....it's not a continuous sound; it comes and goes with gusts.

Mine moans really low like this...

Uhhhhhhoowwwlllrreerrhhhhhllllayay!
....shouldn't there be two Ys at the end of that spelling, Creekheat? :)

I don't get wind moans, but I sure get an even stronger than the usual updraft when there's strong wind outside. And I hear the gusts of wind through the flue and the stove.. Indeed I SEE the gusts of wind in the flames and secondaries too,

I get the higher pitched whispering sound from the primary air, that increases to a mildly irritating whistle sometimes, when the primary air is fully or almost fully closed. If I fiddle with the lever a little it will sometims stop.

....shouldn't there be two Ys at the end of that spelling, Creekheat? :)

I don't get wind moans, but I sure get an even stronger than the usual updraft when there's strong wind outside. And I hear the gusts of wind through the flue and the stove.. Indeed I SEE the gusts of wind in the flames and secondaries too,

I get the higher pitched whispering sound from the primary air, that increases to a mildly irritating whistle sometimes, when the primary air is fully or almost fully closed. If I fiddle with the lever a little it will sometims stop.

Thanks everyone, I think the issue was mentioned a couple times, where the wind is increasing the draft and pulling more air through the primary air on the stove, creating a whistle. Oh well, when you can beat it, join it!

Our Morso insert whistles a lot when it is windy, but the Oslo never does. They were installed by the same stove company, and have identical caps, although they are on different chimneys. I thought it was because it was an insert.

mine was whistling pretty good last night. first time i've noticed it in the month and a half since installation

Status
Not open for further replies.