Which stove to buy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaid

Oct 2, 2014
North Dakota
If you had to buy one of the below listed stoves, which would you bring home and why.

1. Englander 10-CPM
2. St. Croix- Prescott (running a 50/50 mix)
3. St. Croix- Auburn ( I've been told this stove doesnt like wood pellets as it was made to be a "corn" only stove???? True?)
4. Magnum Countryside 3500P
5. Magnum Country Flame harvester

The stove will be burning whatever I can get my hands on...wood, corn, field peas, wheat, beet pellets, etc. ( I do understand that the prescott will not do this but it is also last in my pick for a stove.) The fuel wont be nasty dirty but it wont be triple screened n all pretty either. The stove will be used to help heat a 1300 sq ft ranch style home. However, its an older home so it could use windows and it could use more insulation..a lot of it. Im in North Dakota so it does get crazy cold and windy here. I would like a stove that will put out some BTU as it will be needed. Easy to use, easy to fill, easy to clean would be nice as well. The stove will be in the living rm so something that has good air flow but isnt insanely loud. The budget is right around 2500.00 for just the stove. I know the needed stuff to install the stove will add on costs but thats fine thats been accounted for in the "overall" budget. So thoughts on what stove might make me the happiest?

I'd increase my budget ( save up another grand) and get a Harman PC45, no question in my mind. Those who use them here can fill in the details.

The PC45 is longer made:(. A few used around. Countryside is a old design and a bit of a pain to clean properly and needs weekly detailed cleaning. I am trying to sell one as we have long since upgraded. Auburn is a good stove with a long track history but like you stated is geared more towards corn but will do pellets. Corn is at a multi year low of about $100 ton at elevator. Englander stoves have good customer support. Someone on Fargo CL has a new older multifuel Englander for real cheap. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.