Which stove Jotul 600 or Alderlea t6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jms

Dec 31, 2017
Woodridge,ny
hi , I’m currently building a weekend home . The great room Where the stove is going, is 35’x 35’and 34’ high in the center.
I like the alderlea t6 because it has an unobstructed view . The jotul 600 is nice looking though. Although I like the jotul 500 clear glass model , but I think it may be a little small for this area.
I’m a little scared of getting catalytic because of reviews I’ve read of Lopi and VC catalytic models. (Ironic , because a picture of Vermont castings Defiant is what inspired this whole project. )
The stove is obviously not supposed to be the main source of heat ,but I would definitely like it to do something.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
JS

Attachments

• Which stove Jotul 600 or Alderlea t6
    C59D6E6B-361D-492F-B88B-05B4C31C4510.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 180
I suspect that either the PE or Jotul should work fine . . . but a ceiling fan would definitely help keep the heat down to where folks would feel it more.

I just had an F600 installed this week. I upgraded from the F400. I absolutely love it. You can load plenty of wood in the 3 cubic foot firebox and it offers both a front and side load door option. I use the side door almost exclusively.

We are in the teens and single digits right now. I have kept my 2200 square foot house with ten foot ceilings easily in the low to mid 70s on four loads of wood per day.

I've never owned a catalytic stove and don't care to.

Any recommendations as far as placement of chimney pipe is concerned. One store said they would go up inside like 10-15 ft , and then outside to the top.
The other place said they would do it totally inside and go up straight through the roof .

Any recommendations as far as placement of chimney pipe is concerned. One store said they would go up inside like 10-15 ft , and then outside to the top.
The other place said they would do it totally inside and go up straight through the roof .

Most folks here will tell you that the best drafting stove go straight up through the roof.

In my case I had the installer go up three or four feet and then out the wall and up alongside the side of the house. While this may not draft quite as well as inside, it works better for me personally as the draft is fine most of the burning season, I had issues with the house construction which would have made a straight up install a challenge and the added plus for me has been the ability to sweep from the bottom as there is a T with a removable base plate that I take off (three screws) so sweeping is very easy.

Straight up is always best..for several reasons...draft...ease of cleaning....and your pipe will stay hotter leading to less creosote build up....all wins IMO.

Looking at the specs and options for both models...personally I would go with the Jotul 600 as it has a top or rear vent option...the rear vent straight up would be easy to clean from the inside if doing it yourself...if this concerns you not it is a toss up.

Go straight up with the pipe if possible. If you keep it inside, you get the additional heat radiating off the pipe too.

As far as draft concerns, I have two 45 degree bends in my pipe and it doesnt affect draft at all.

Go straight up. Stove pipe is cheaper than class A. And by the looks of it you need a lot of pipe.

Can you post more pictures from different angles? Also a sketch of the floor plan.

Thanx. Yes , inside pipe a lot cheaper than outside pipe.
I’m probably gonna go w th jotul, I like the side door feature.

Attachments

FD734B53-9F7E-4869-98B3-B3A8D4A84440.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 133
    DA686E07-9CBB-44F7-938C-932FB83A57CA.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Is the staircase permanent in the first pic or for construction purposes? Can you take a pic looking back at loft? A centrally located stove will heat the whole place better.

Looks like a perfect candidate for hydronic radiant floor heat!