Which Standards?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

subyd00d

Oct 5, 2011
NC
Hello all, been lerking the forums for a while. Recently bought a brand new stove. My question is which clearance standards do I follow, the manufacturer tagged measurements or the typical 36/18 standards that I've found several times over through searching the internet? I haven't found any local governance on it either. I planned on calling a home inspector today as well. Thanks in advance.

Hello all, been lerking the forums for a while. Recently bought a brand new stove. My question is which clearance standards do I follow, the manufacturer tagged measurements or the typical 36/18 standards that I've found several times over through searching the internet? I haven't found any local governance on it either. I planned on calling a home inspector today as well. Thanks in advance.
The 36/18 is a default for unlisted stoves if your stove is ul listed you use their clearances

My other question would be, would the reduction percentages still apply? Stove calls for 20 inches of clearance from the rear to combustibles. I planned on putting up wall protection with 1.5inch air gap. Would I be able to go closer than 20 in this case? I'm mounting corregated metal on cement board with metal spacers.

My other question would be, would the reduction percentages still apply? Stove calls for 20 inches of clearance from the rear to combustibles. I planned on putting up wall protection with 1.5inch air gap. Would I be able to go closer than 20 in this case? I'm mounting corregated metal on cement board with metal spacers.
That would be determined by the stove manufacturer

The code says that a certain percentage reduction can be had with a correct heat shield. Something like that. You would need to look it up and have it approved by the inspector. Cant hurt to be a little more than the minimums though IMO.After a week you wont even notice that it is a couple inches out more than it has to be. And you wont be spooked by high wall temps all the time. Peace of mind is free. Worry sends a bill every day.

The code says that a certain percentage reduction can be had with a correct heat shield. Something like that. You would need to look it up and have it approved by the inspector. Cant hurt to be a little more than the minimums though IMO.After a week you wont even notice that it is a couple inches out more than it has to be. And you wont be spooked by high wall temps all the time. Peace of mind is free. Worry sends a bill every day.
Yes you get reduction if the manufacturer allows it.

I don't plan on going any closer than 18 to combustibles with the piping. All I'm looking to do is reduce the 20 inches down to around 16. That will put my piping right at 18. If it calls for 20 without protection for the back of the stove, I would assume adding the vented wall protection would at least get me down to the 16. I called the manufacturer and they pointed me local. Local pointed me to manufacturer....

I don't plan on going any closer than 18 to combustibles with the piping. All I'm looking to do is reduce the 20 inches down to around 16. That will put my piping right at 18. If it calls for 20 without protection for the back of the stove, I would assume adding the vented wall protection would at least get me down to the 16. I called the manufacturer and they pointed me local. Local pointed me to manufacturer....
If the manufacturer referred you to local it should be fine. A proper ventilated heat sheild would get you down to 12

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: subyd00d