Which size Blaze King stove for large A-Frame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JBrd

Jun 25, 2024
Brian Head, UT
Hello. I would love some advice from all of you wood stove experts. We are building an A-Frame in the southern UT mountains. The wood-burning stove will be in a corner of the main great room. Total square footage for the main floor and loft area upstairs will be 1800sqft. I like the Blaze King Princess (many seem to recommend that one) but am wondering if it is too big for the space. The main floor great room has a ceiling height of 30ft though. It’s pretty big and open in the great room.

This is a second home used in the spring, summer and fall. It will be heated by electric through the winter while we aren’t there. The lowest lows during the time we will be there will be in the 20s and 30s but summertime lows are in the 50s. The available wood will be mostly Aspen and some pine.

We do have an electric heater for the main level and a few baseboard heaters in the loft but would prefer to use the wood stove as our main heat source as much as possible.

I just want to try to pick a stove that will be able to maintain a consistent temp of around 67 degrees as efficiently as possible. Any advice for me as a newbie?? Thank you so much!!

*Not completely tied to Blaze King. I’ve just chosen it based on recommendations.

The Princess should work fine. Be sure to gather firewood in advance and have it split and stacked a year in advance for the best burning experience. The Princess will want fully seasoned firewood.

If the looks of the princess are not conducive to you or yours, you can substitute with any of the 30 models, i.e. Ashford, Sirocco, Chinook.

These stoves can go low so I don't think they'll be too big.
You will need a ceiling fan to avoid pooling heat at the high ceiling.

The Princess should work fine. Be sure to gather firewood in advance and have it split and stacked a year in advance for the best burning experience. The Princess will want fully seasoned firewood.
Ok great. Thank you for the tip on the wood. I don’t think Aspen wood is known to be great for burning but that’s all we have so I definitely want to do everything I can to make it burn as well as possible.

If the looks of the princess are not conducive to you or yours, you can substitute with any of the 30 models, i.e. Ashford, Sirocco, Chinook.

Oh ok good to know. We will definitely go with fans instead of chandeliers in that great room. Appreciate it!

And I would suggest the ceiling fan switch be near the stove. That way you can turn it off when loading. All of today's stoves are efficient and once in a while appliances can compete for fresh air. Bathroom fans, kitchen draft hoods, etc. Ceiling fans can cause undesired air movement during loading.

BKVP

And I would suggest the ceiling fan switch be near the stove. That way you can turn it off when loading. All of today's stoves are efficient and once in a while appliances can compete for fresh air. Bathroom fans, kitchen draft hoods, etc. Ceiling fans can cause undesired air movement during loading.

BKVP
Oh wow. Never would have known this. Thank you!

They can. Especially in new homes with very tight construction. Of course proximity to stove influences the effect.

BKVP

Reactions: JBrd
It's often better and more comfortable to run the ceiling fan in reverse or winter mode in colder weather. In summer it's nice to have the cooling effect of a breeze across the skin, but not in winter. Running it in reverse stops the draftyness by sending the air to the outer walls. This helps even out room temps when the stove is burning

Which size Blaze King stove for large A-Frame?.

Reactions: BKVP