Which paint to use on metal hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lmschiloe

Mar 10, 2024
Maryland
Hi, I'm new on here so hope I'm using this very helpful forum appropriately... I had to custom order a corner steel (12 gauge) hearth pad for a wood stove I'm having installed later this week. I'd like to paint it a flat black, but don't know which paint is best to use. This stove doesn't require an R value. I've seen reference here to "metal paint", but don't know which would be appropriate. Hoping not to have something that leaves black smudges on anything that comes in contact with it. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

The best finish will be to have it powder coated. A painted hearth will be prone to scratches and ash dustings that may dull it quickly. Stove Brite glossy or satin black will work with the above caveat.

Last edited:
Reactions: lmschiloe
The best finish will be to have it powder coated. A painted hearth will be prone to scratches and ash dustings that may dull it quickly. Stove Brite glossy or satin black will work with the above caveat.
Thank you! Where should I go to have it powder coated? Is that something the welder who created it would do?

Powder coat finishes are baked on. Whomever does it will have to have an oven large enough to fit the piece in.

Some auto finishes are baked on, maybe they could roll your piece in with a car getting baked.

I’m not sure the average weld shop has a large oven, but maybe they would.

Thank you! Where should I go to have it powder coated? Is that something the welder who created it would do?
I don't know where is the closest place but a good metal shop may be able to provide a referral. Here is an outfit in Baltimore:

I was just thinking about pulling mine and repainting it. I painted mine years ago. It’s time for a fresh coat. Really, it probably could be touched up every year or two. So, you either need to mask it in place or be able to take it outside. Looks good when it’s fresh. I’ll probably take mine outside and sand it and paint it flat black again.
I don’t remember what I used, but will just go look for a flat enamel rate can. A 2 part epoxy would be better.

New and fresh:

8 years later: