which one do you like more?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tclapes1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Madrid
hi, im new at this site, and, of course, how not, i have some newbee questions.
which stove from this below, would you like more?
anybody has one of them to tell how it works?
my house is about 170 square meters in tow floors... what do you recomend. maby im going so high temperature stoves....
ok,
here they are

jotul f500
hergom benningon
bermont castings defiant catalitic

thanks in advance.
:)

For clarity on the left side of the pond, 170 sq m = ~1830 square feet house.

Usually when I see Vermont Casting it is followed by the word "problem" or "rebuild" - don't know what others impressions are, but that is mine. Have not heard of the Hergom, though a quick search brought up an image. Overall I think I like the look of the Jotul the best and they seem to have a decent reputation.

cozy heat said:
Usually when I see Vermont Casting it is followed by the word "problem" or "rebuild" - don't know what others impressions are, but that is mine. Have not heard of the Hergom, though a quick search brought up an image. Overall I think I like the look of the Jotul the best and they seem to have a decent reputation.

Agreed. but if my mental image of Madrid is correct, I am thinking the F500 is gonna be too much firepower.

I would suggest the Jotul F500. I think the Bennington is one nice stove but on another site I have seen a lot of complaints about build quality and performance.

And Vermont Castings changes ownership so often that you never know what is going to happen next.

Jags said:
cozy heat said:

Agreed. but if my mental image of Madrid is correct, I am thinking the F500 is gonna be too much firepower.

The Bennington is a 2.5 cubic foot 70,000 BTU bad boy itself.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
cozy heat said:

The Bennington is a 2.5 cubic foot 70,000 BTU bad boy itself.

Thats a sharp looking stove, but I'm not too sure about the gloss finish.....just personal pref. (ya know, since stoves should be black and cast iron... :coolsmirk: )

Jags said:
(ya know, since stoves should be black and cast iron... :coolsmirk: )

The legs and door. :lol:

To our friend in Madrid. The F500 will do a great job for you and has a solid reputation and many happy owners here on the forum. If you can't have a steel stove then it would be the next best thing. :lol:

yeah all, i wasnt looking to posts now, i was reading de reviews thad i didnt know they exist here, and they have help me a lot as you did. (sorry about my english)
after reading, i´ve seen that bennington, ( i thing in usa is the earthstone stoves) has a lot of complains. and how you say, maby f500 would be the best for me. nothing coloured, just black. At least is the one which people epeaks best.
here the weather is really cold in winter, well no so much as in alaska i guess but , i comes to be about -5 c degrees in the midle of the countryside where i live. and maby -10 or even more in the mountain , all aposite to summer, 40 c degress or even more in hotest days.
anyway, thanks to all for your information, its nice to find people who helps
in advance, i´ll be thinking about breaking my porcelane piggy :) and ill be here learning about your coments

Go for the F500. It is one of the best Jotul models. Easy to run and a beautiful stove.

of the picks you furnished i'd have to go with the jotul as well, great stove , according to some "best in industry" or close to it as far as casting quality (VC does fantastic casting work as well) jotul is one of the leading brands in cast iron quality stoves in the industry. i work in the industry myself (and our units are not available in europe so i dont have a dog in the fight so i can be as unbiased as i wish to be) i admire the workmanship they put into their product. not putting down the other possibles mind you , they are excellent units as well, but jotul is the class of the field IMHO in cast iron stoves.

ok, any jotul reps please pm me to get address to mail the check to ;-P (kidding)

I don't know much about the Hergom and most of what I've read about Vermont Castings is less than favorable (due to warranty work, expensive parts, etc.) . . . I can tell you I have been quite happy heating my home with the Oslo. My only two complaints is that the front door drops out a lot of ash when opened (which I can live with) and the air control lever was a bit sticky until I fixed that this Fall by applying some graphite powder . . . something I should have done last Fall!

Hergom = Hearthstone here

yes, the two brands are the same. i thing ill go to the Oslo, at least, almost everybody here speaks well about it so thats a guaranty.
my idea is just reduce to de minimun, the gas consume of my gas central heating, or eveng not necesary to start it. here in spain, gas is not as cheap as in de states and with gas, im waisting about 13/15 liters of gass every day or even more in the coldest days .thats about one tank (one tone of gas) every one and a half month. so thats too much for my poket. i know jotul is not cheap and maby there are good stoves out there but i like to see what people says about the things. no doupt now.
ammm... BeGreen, just one short question, how did you put that mosnter inside your home?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.