Which jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aimee_c

Oct 17, 2018
Northern Virginia
Which jotul? Which jotul?
I’ve been looking for a used jotul on Craigslist to replace this terrible stove. Last year the basement was unfinished, but now that it’s our family room (painted concrete floor) I want something that puts out heat more evenly. I’m at a loss as to which model would be ideal in the space. The metal support on the left seems like it shouldn’t be right up against the stove, but getting the right clearances seems like just about any stove would be right next to it. I realize the current set up is completely not code and unsafe. We just use the stove to keep the edge off in the winter, we have a high-efficiency heat pump for moderate weather. Entire basement is about 800 ft.², the room it’s in it’s about 300 ft.². It’s well insulated with Anderson windows and a brick exterior. I’ve attached a little sketch with measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: practicalolivia
OK so based on my measurements appears to me that if we put the stove smack in the center of the hearth we would have 24 inches on either side of it and we would need to have 14 inches in the back. That only leaves 11 inches of clearance in the front so we would have to put some sort of hearth extension for the additional 5 inches necessary. I’m thinking ahead because we will eventually click flooring there instead of painted concrete. So that means that the pipe coming out of the stove is going to be angled at 45° for a length of probably 2 feet. Does that affect how well the stove works? Would it be a problem to put the stove pipe in at a right angle going straight up and then over to the thimble? I’m embarrassed at how much the lack of symmetry bothers me, but it does. Maybe I should just paint the brick black so I don’t see the pipe making this huge ugly line. With that size stove the metal support beam will be just 1.5” away from the stove. Is that going to create a problem or do I need to put up fire protection over the drywall and move the stove farther to the right of the support beam? Thank you for your assistance.

The metal support beam is non-combustible. It can be close to the stove. 300 sq ft is pretty small for a wood stove. Does this room open to another space or stairwell or will the stove strictly be heating this 300 sq ft space? It looks like there is an adjacent hallway. How does it heat with the old stove that is currently there?

The entire basement is 1300 sf. The room is 300, opens into a hallway and the two bedrooms/bath plus stairway up to the main level.

The metal support beam is non-combustible. It can be close to the stove. 300 sq ft is pretty small for a wood stove. Does this room open to another space or stairwell or will the stove strictly be heating this 300 sq ft space? It looks like there is an adjacent hallway. How does it heat with the old stove that is currently there?

If the stove room gets too hot, it may take a fan in the hallway on the floor and running on low speed, blowing toward the stove room to even out the heat.

Have you tried a fire yet with the old stove?