Which chimney brand for a FP30 (Pacific Energy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rogerius

Jan 15, 2019
Grey County, ON
We are looking at FP30 for a while now and wondering where we can find a list with approved chimney brands/models for this fireplace. It'll be installed in a new construction and planning to do ourselves so we are looking for options. The dealer give us just ICC brand but quite expensive, nothing else. We check the user manual and installation manual but no luck in finding a list; just a mentioned that the 6" chimney needs to be approved under the CAN-ULC S629. The big store is carry Selkirk brand which not sure if is okay to be used with FP30.
Thank you for any info.

ICC Excel is excellent chimney pipe. This would work well. The chimney is going to be hidden and sealed up in a chase. Putting quality chimney pipe in this location will help assure a long term trouble-free system.

I assume ICC is a quality product but that is coming with a price. Looking at the dealer quote I see is double in price compare with Selkirk. Both are passing the ULC S629, but how I said I can't see any chimney list in the manuals. Is such a list exist?

We are looking at FP30 for a while now and wondering where we can find a list with approved chimney brands/models for this fireplace. It'll be installed in a new construction and planning to do ourselves so we are looking for options. The dealer give us just ICC brand but quite expensive, nothing else. We check the user manual and installation manual but no luck in finding a list; just a mentioned that the 6" chimney needs to be approved under the CAN-ULC S629. The big store is carry Selkirk brand which not sure if is okay to be used with FP30.
Thank you for any info.
Contact PE and they should give you a list of approved chimneys for that unit. Using an unapproved chimney will void the warranty and listing of the appliance. Your insurance company will pitch a fit if they know

Last edited:
Dealer installed the ICC Excel with my FP30. It is more money, but I have piece of mind knowing it can handle 3 chimney fires over 2000::F without issue.

....sorry Saydinli, but what this means ..."it can handle 3 chimney fires over 2000F"?

From ICC’s website....

“Technical Information

CERTIFICATION

EXCEL is tested and listed by Intertek Testing Services to two safety standards:
UL 103HT - The standard for solid and liquid fuel chimneys installed in the USA.
Along with many other tests the UL 103HT Standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10 minute chimney fires at 2100°F (1150°C).
Listing #5965
ULC S-629 - The standard for solid and liquid fuel chimneys installed in Canada.
Along with many other tests the ULC S-629 Standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30 minute chimney fires at 2100°F (1150°C).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does somebody knows how to contact the Pacific Energy other then fill up the form on their website? I did that and this is the third day without any response. I can't see even an address or a 1-800 number, nothing!!!

Does somebody knows how to contact the Pacific Energy other then fill up the form on their website? I did that and this is the third day without any response. I can't see even an address or a 1-800 number, nothing!!!

PE's number is 250-748-1184

Thanks saydinli for the phone#. Quite strange they don't give any contact info in their site.

Quick update: just talked with the tech support. They don't have any chimney approval list. The only requirement is the size and the chimney to be compliant with CAN-ULCS629 if is installed in Canada; no more info then the installation/user manual.

Thanks saydinli for the phone#. Quite strange they don't give any contact info in their site.

Quick update: just talked with the tech support. They don't have any chimney approval list. The only requirement is the size and the chimney to be compliant with CAN-ULCS629 if is installed in Canada; no more info then the installation/user manual.

I just looked at the install instructions - If you're going to use double wall insulated I would use whatever weight bearing brace they have available where it passes through the ceiling so that the stove isn't bearing all the weight of the chimney. If you use air insulated triple wall it probably wouldn't be an issue since it's much lighter but it wouldn't hurt to use one for that too.

I just looked at the install instructions - If you're going to use double wall insulated I would use whatever weight bearing brace they have available where it passes through the ceiling so that the stove isn't bearing all the weight of the chimney. If you use air insulated triple wall it probably wouldn't be an issue since it's much lighter but it wouldn't hurt to use one for that too.
Not sure how to use the bearing brace which you mentioned as I have to use the attic shield where the chimney is passing through the trusses. Can you please detail that? In term of weight, the 18ft chimney will be around 180lbs. I'll ask the PE tech rep what is the max. weight around the fireplace chimney opening.
In the end I selected the Selkirk SuperVent 2100 JM (SS for inner and outer tube, secure twist lock with collar, 2in insulation, welded seam). Appreciate if you have any feedback on that.

Not sure how to use the bearing brace which you mentioned as I have to use the attic shield where the chimney is passing through the trusses. Can you please detail that? In term of weight, the 18ft chimney will be around 180lbs. I'll ask the PE tech rep what is the max. weight around the fireplace chimney opening.
In the end I selected the Selkirk SuperVent 2100 JM (SS for inner and outer tube, secure twist lock with collar, 2in insulation, welded seam). Appreciate if you have any feedback on that.
I'm sure that chimney will work fine. Isn't that the stuff they sell at Lowes? Make sure you follow all the instructions.

The brand I use, Ventis, has a what they call a roof support that you can use to help bear the weight of the chimney. Their tech guy even said that it could be used instead of ceiling support but I have never tried it for that. On page 7 of the supervent components catalog they have a similar part. It may not work in your installation. I doubt that 180 pounds is going to be an issue but I'd let the PE people determine that for certain.