Which boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddevil

Aug 13, 2016
Smyrna maine
Hi everyone.I'm looking to replace my old mw 100 with a used boiler.these are what I'm considering.an older hs tarm excellent condition 900.00 us stove model 500 for 700.00 obo.biasi 3 with everything to hook it up including a modine unit 2000.00 new Yorker that is an 08 model for 2200.00my house is about 1500 sf.the boiler will be stand alone.the biasi is a couple years old.hope that's enough info.I've read great reviews on all.would like opinions on them if possible.

If the New Yorker is the one I'm thinking of, it has inefficient heat exchanging and can burn through some wood.

I think the Biasi has multi-pass heat exchanging? Does the Tarm have tubes? (Thinking so?) Not sure on the US Stove.

Generally, all else being equal (i.e. condition of them) - I would look for one with good heat exchanging design (usually involves tubes - as opposed to a simple water jacket like the New Yorker - or mutli-pass). Together with the heat exchanging places being easy to clean. It's a balance & catch-22 - good heat exchanging & getting the heat into the water will also likely cause some creosote buildup on the HX surfaces, so regular cleanings should be anticipated. And good dry wood & burning practices planned for.

If the New Yorker is the one I'm thinking of, it has inefficient heat exchanging and can burn through some wood.

I think the Biasi has multi-pass heat exchanging? Does the Tarm have tubes? (Thinking so?) Not sure on the US Stove.

Generally, all else being equal (i.e. condition of them) - I would look for one with good heat exchanging design (usually involves tubes - as opposed to a simple water jacket like the New Yorker - or mutli-pass). Together with the heat exchanging places being easy to clean. It's a balance & catch-22 - good heat exchanging & getting the heat into the water will also likely cause some creosote buildup on the HX surfaces, so regular cleanings should be anticipated. And good dry wood & burning practices planned for.
Not sure on the tarm I'm leaning g toward the biasi due to the fact that it includes everything and I've read great reviews.thank you for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.