Whether to Remove Wall - Stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jacub

Sep 30, 2019
Canada
Hi everyone, I thought I'd make this its own thread to get your opinion on whether removing this wall would be advisable prior to a stove install. It will be a large 3.0 cubic feet catalytic stove in brown enamel. This main floor is 3500 sq feet, of which 2000 sq feet will be heated by this stove. The second floor (up the staircase) can be closed off by doors and is not regularly used presently.

The tan-coloured finish material on the wall are slabs of granite. The beech pipe wall is masonry block and is non-combustible. The L section of the wall to be potentially removed is non-weight bearing made out of 2x4 studs and dry wall. There appears to be pre-existing fiberglass insulation inside.

I wouldn't mind the space being more open, particularly near the front entrance. I had intended on placing down a slab of granite as the non-combustable hearth, which would cover the hardwood floor defect created by removing the wall. The stove I am getting does not require thermal protection underneath.

Please let me know what you think or if it would be more advisable just to leave the wall where it is. Thank you.

Attachments

• Whether to Remove Wall - Stove Install
    20191004_124931 annotated.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Whether to Remove Wall - Stove Install
    Annotated.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I would remove the wall. I think it'll look better opened up and your stove will heat the main floor better without the wall there as heat doesn't turn corners very well.

Agreed, if it was mine it would be gone.

Cool staircase. Remove the wall, repair the floor well. Be ready to see the side of your stove, the sides aren't always as pretty on all cast iron clad stoves.

Thanks for the replies. What if I leave 12" or so connected to the back wall rather than removing it completely? Would that hide the rear end of the ashford 30.2?

Thanks for the replies. What if I leave 12" or so connected to the back wall rather than removing it completely? Would that hide the rear end of the ashford 30.2?

That depends on how close you place it to that backwall. Minimum clearance to the first combustible is just 6" on my princess and I think on your stove also.

Take a look at the sideview. The back half is just painted black steel instead of enameled cast iron. You might be okay with it.