Where to put a probe on insert flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

htr2133

Nov 2, 2016
Nashville, TN
MOD EDIT: Moved to new thread

Wow, I've learned so much on this thread! I'm about to have my new insert installed and I would really like to have a probe installed when I do. My issue is space; what is the recommended placement when dealing with an insert in a tight vertical install? I think only the connector would be accessible.

Yes, sometimes the probe has to go in the liner adapter. Others have used a surface thermocouple held in place with a large band clamp.

A surface probe (with mechanical clamping to the flue) is a bit slower, but it is much better than to have no probe.

If the thing has a "bad - good - bad" scale, make sure it's the right scale (i.e. for on surface or in flue).

Wow, I've learned so much on this thread! I'm about to have my new insert installed and I would really like to have a probe installed when I do. My issue is space; what is the recommended placement when dealing with an insert in a tight vertical install? I think only the connector would be accessible.
My appliance adapter already had a small hole (not sure why) so I stuck the probe in there. It will read higher than others whose probe is 18” above the stove. It’s not a big deal. You will learn what’s to hot for your install, and what the best operating temp is. This is why probe or surface just doesn’t matter that much. If you are chasing the bare minimum lowest setting the probe will let you know sooner that you cut the air off and snuffed it out.

My probe will peak at a about 900 F during a burn but my stove top won’t got over 625F. I like my IR temp gun too. Really helps calibrate the visuals of the burn and what I’m reading with the probe when learning a new stove.

Moved to a new thread for discussion beyond starting a fire.
What insert is this for?
There are several good threads on this topic that show different methods. Here are a couple.

Reactions: bigealta