Where to harvest / gather firewood????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andropolis

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2006
I'm purchasing a new Napoleon 1401 insert this winter and am new to harvesting / gathering firewood.

I plan to begin in the springtime (to gather wood for next winter) but don't know where or how to go about it. My grandmother has property with alot of timber that I can use for now. But that property will be sold soon.

My question is... How can I locate a place to gather firewood. Is there a list of local foresters? Do I need to purchase a permit.. or get permission from a private landowner... I know there must be many options but how do I find firewood to gather myself?

I have already contacted the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and they weren't of much help. I live in Northeastern Ohio.

Please give me any and all advice. It's much appreciated!

P.S. anyone know how efficient these Napoleon inserts are on wood?

THANK YOU

Andropolis

Most people are reluctant to let you cut wood on their land due to liability issues. And for good reason.

Why not check with your local municipality and see if there's a place where they dump old logs from tree removal operations and other maintenance.

Your best bet might to find a logger or landclearing contractor who will sell you truckloads of logs.

If you can find a local consulting forester, see if he/she knows of any logging landings that you can clean up.

Lately I have been getting my firewood for free at the cities recycle center. They bring in trees that were cut down due to construction or other reasons. I can also get a firewood permit and maps on where to cut for $5 at the county clerk. There is free wood out there, you just got to go find it.

Todd, I've tried to find information on getting the permit and cutting on state (?) or county (?) land but have had no luck. Can you tell me who in WI to contact? I live in southeastern WI, in Racine county.

Craigslist and Freecycle have been the major source of my scavenged wood over the last several years. It helps to be in a densely populated area with lots of trees and few competitors, though. I recently noticed that some local tree companies actually advertise free wood, so you might try that also.

How much room do you have at your place? If room for a log truck load could you cut a load at your grandmothers place and have it hauled to your place before it sells? Is there any forest service land nearby? They sometimes have cutting areas, there you will need a permit, out here is 20$ for 10 cords.

I just recently put a 1401 in my house and I have been very happy with it so far.

A good place to track down the loggers is at the husky, stihl, dolmar shops..they usually know who is who and can recommend a few people for you. Also if you take NSHIF recommendation they can probably refer someone to truck the logs from your Grandmothers.

Andropolis said:
My grandmother has property with alot of timber that I can use for now. But that property will be sold soon.
Who is grandma selling the property to? Maybe she could put in a good word for you to continue gathering firewood there?

Bah, hit submit too early.

This is my first "wood" winter, so I have been buying, begging, borrowing wood for this year and stockpiling green stuff for the future. You could start by talking to friends, relatives and neighbors. Tell them you need wood. I have gotten several leads on downed trees that people needed hauled away, enough so far for next winter and I haven't been trying that hard yet :) Tree services may be a good option, but around here they are all in the firewood business too, it seems.

Ditto on Craiglist and Freecycle. Post a couple times a year, don't flood it.

Keep your eyes and ears open. You'll develop some patterns, locations and contacts. Just takes a little while.

All my wood comes from other homeowners with logs in their yards (ask), construction sites, etc.

Actually, I've never posted to Freecycle or Craigslist looking for wood; people seem to post often enough looking to get rid of wood. I have a filter on incoming freecycle email that looks for firewood-related terms, and ignores the rest. I had something similar for craigslist before they did away with email subscriptions; now I have some RSS links in my browser to various craigslist searches for firewood terms.

Andropolis said:
I'm purchasing a new Napoleon 1401 insert this winter .....

P.S. anyone know how efficient these Napoleon inserts are on wood?

What exactly do you mean by efficient? How much wood will you use over a winter? How long will it burn a load? I'm not quite sure what exactly you are wanting to know.

CURBSIDE-

Call it Trashpicking, recycling, curbside is the place too get wood.. I have not paid for any wood, and actually had one guy help me load it up because he was worried that it might be just ground up rather than used..

You should try calling local tree companies. Some of the smaller guys might drop off wood if there in the area, or you could pick it up.

Just stay out of earthharvester's backyard! :coolgrin:

MrGriz said:
Todd, I've tried to find information on getting the permit and cutting on state (?) or county (?) land but have had no luck. Can you tell me who in WI to contact? I live in southeastern WI, in Racine county.

I went to the local court house and visited the county forest division. Or see the county clerk.

Thanks Todd

BeGreen said:
Just stay out of earthharvester's backyard! :coolgrin:

Maybe if you ask FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!

I goggled "firewood free Milwaukee OR Racine" 2 nights ago and found that if I lived 1.1 miles east of where I do, the City of Racine could put me on a list to receive about 3 cords of wood at a time when they do tree removal, trimming, etc. But you have to live east of I-94. I have one good friend who lives in Racine, but on a very small lot, don't know where they could dump 3 cords at one time without blocking his garage or destroying his lawn. They warn you it comes in a big truck that could damage your sidewalk, etc. I am thinking of asking acquaintances how big their driveways/yards are, or asking for help on freecycle. Would love to get on that list somehow! Won't help you in Waterford, either, MrGriz, but if you have any good friends in Racine . . .

We have had good luck on free firewood via freecycle, one good set last year and another one this year, about 4 truckloads full one place and 3 at another. Also, my brother-in-law had a big mulberry cut down last year, that is our best wood for this winter. He also found us about a cord of nice rounds someone in Milwaukee was trying to throw out. They also have saved wood for years for occasional campfires, but they saved a LOT more than they would ever use, so have been giving us a lot of it to get it out of their garage. FIL got a pellet stove this year, inspired by us, and I realize now it is good he didn't get a woodstove, as BIL would stop giving us the wood and give it to his dad instead if he had one. BIL brought over 3 big chunks of maple when he came for Thanksgiving dinner, found it someplace. Helps to have unemployed relatives scouting for you. :) We have some wood of our own but have concentrated more on found free stuff thus far.

Tree service's seems to be good places for wood. The tree cutters that I've stopped and talked to all have been very nice and want to help wood burner out.

I used freecycle for some wood last year. Had a nice elderly couple contact me. Said they had lots of wood from downed and dead standing trees. Hard to tell what the wood was as it all was dead. Very little bark. The guy kept saying "poplar". I know what poplar is and this was not poplar.

Cut it up, loaded four pick up truck loads full, and all the time they kept saying "come back for more". They were eager to get the back of their lot cleaned up. I stacked it and a week later went to split the bigger stuff. After the first strike with the 8 pounder, I could tell right away ELM! Took me all summer to deal with that stuff.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but, I could spent my energies on other more productive prospects. I feel the guy knew what he had as he was a wood burner also, and me just the rookie. Should have figured out something was up when they seemed so eager. It all made sense to me later, dutch elm disease took em all out, and he needed to get rid of it to expand his "pumpkin patch", and did not want to deal with it himself. Alot of work dragging that stuff across the field to my truck as well, but I needed the wood.

Next time I will bring my maul, or, if you have a splitter, then it's a non issue, just a little heads up. Now that I have a descent amount of wood ready to burn , I can be more selective. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.