Where to buy a baffle gasket, or should I make one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

BarryBlair

Nov 18, 2023
Kentucky
I have a Pacific Energy Summit fireplace insert with type B baffle gasket. All the online dealers are now saying they aren't allowed to sell the product online. In store only. Any thoughts on where to buy a gasket? Or, has anyone bought high temp gasket sheets and made their own? thanks!

There was only one authorized dealer for online sale of PE products in the US. That was thechimneysweep.com run by Tom Oyen who was the intial sales point for PE products in the US. Very sadly, he died a couple of years ago and that ended US online sales. Now all PE parts in the US must come from a PE dealership. In Canada, parts can be bought via FriendlyFires online. It's a bummer, especially for rural customers and people that live a long distance from the nearest PE dealer. Tom was a great person to work with and ran a great shop in Bellingham, WA as well as a very respectable online store. We miss him.

I wish PE would remedy this loss. It affects a lot of owners. We need a new US online presence for PE parts. A few of us have made our own baffle gasket out of 3/8" gasket rope or out of 1/8" ceramic fiber sheet. The latter requires a very sharp cutting too for clean, precise cuts and there is a lot of wasteage.

Thanks. Can you tell me how to place the gasket rope? Or show me a photo?
You'll need about 16" to 18" of 3/8" rope gasket.
12" of this will be the actual gasket, the rest you will leave evenly extra on each end, to use to braid/tie the two ends together.
Custom PE baffle rope gasket