When to Sweep Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I use double wall pipe downstairs and triple wall through the attic out the roof. I burn pretty hot most of the time and my smoke output is generally low. Question is: do I need to be sweeping every season? Some people say yes, and others never sweep. A guy whose family had an Earth Stove in the 70's / 80's said they never swept for the whole time he remembered and never had any chimney fire. Is chimney fire more common with masonry chimneys or is it likely in stove pipe with an EPA stove running hot generally? I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish, but I also don't want to be crawling around on the roof in December.

Better to be safe than sorry sweeping is very important anyone who doesnt is foolish. Your family and you are important to each other so do not play with fire! I clean my chimney every 6 month needed or not just to be safe, although I get on the roof there are other good options such as soot eater. You can attach to a drill and clean from the ground up without getting on the roof. http://www.sooteater.com/chimney/ chimney fires in a clay chimney will literally disintigrate and destroy your chimney if it is attached to a stove. Double wall STAINLESS will help prevent a house from a burn down but that doesnt mean it will stop it its bad either way.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas
Pete

I thought once a season was OK. I did mine 2 times last year and I just cleaned chimney after 1 1/2 months and was surprised how much I got out. I burned a lot of junk early in season to get by until colder weather stayed now I have been burning the good stuff. I would say for peace of mine clean as much as you can the more the better. You are looking for big trouble if you do not clean at all.

Firecracker, I thought I was in the same boat that you described--just not at risk for needing frequent sweeps. As I said in that other thread, I started seeing a lazy fire and when I swept I realized I had been due-up for a soot-fall or just having the stack seal itself off. Lesson learned.

Consider getting a telescoping pipe joint so that you could at least get a Sooteater in there. I wouldn't go up on the roof this time of the year either. If that was my only choice, I'd probably call a sweep.

At this time I don't sweep my own but I think it is well worth the $80 to have it done. My chimney guy recommended once a year and offered s discount if I have it done within six months of the install (we agreed to extend longer since that would still be burning season).

fv

firecracker_77 said:
I use double wall pipe downstairs and triple wall through the attic out the roof. I burn pretty hot most of the time and my smoke output is generally low. Question is: do I need to be sweeping every season? Some people say yes, and others never sweep. A guy whose family had an Earth Stove in the 70's / 80's said they never swept for the whole time he remembered and never had any chimney fire. Is chimney fire more common with masonry chimneys or is it likely in stove pipe with an EPA stove running hot generally? I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish, but I also don't want to be crawling around on the roof in December.

I sweep ours at the beginning of the season then at the end of January for or own peace of mind. For what we get out of it I could do it once a year at the beginning.

zap

On my old Jumbo Moe I would clean at least once during the heating season and after ( when there wasn't snow on the roof) and get a 3-4 gallons of creosote each time.

With the Country Canyon/chimney liner(double wall) I clean once a year and get a few gallons.

No two setups are alike, but with a well installed EPA stove and chimney using dry wood, I'm very comfortable with once a year.

After getting to be "one" with your stove, once a year should be sufficient. But until that point, I would check once a month or 2. You cans start by getting some binoculars, and looking up at the cap first.

What are you looking for when you look outside at the cap. Black buildup ? Color of cap and pipe ?

HighHeat22 said:
What are you looking for when you look outside at the cap. Black buildup ? Color of cap and pipe ?
yes.

Also look at the holes in the screen for blockage.

firecracker_77 said:

Time means practically nothing when it comes to the chimney. What counts is what the chimney needs. If it needs cleaning, does it matter if it is a month or 2 years? Some can get by with very little cleaning while others have to clean really often and most of that is dependent upon the fuel. Burn poor or marginal fuel and clean often. Burn good dry wood and you can stretch the time out longer.

I can remember cleaning our chimney 6 times a season but the more normal was 4. Now we've had our new stove for 4 full winters and going into our 5th. We've cleaned the chimney one time. However, the chimney still gets checked several times each season.

So please do not go by how long others go; base it on what your chimney requires.

Like many answers here the true answer is that it depends.

Most folks who have learned their woodstove and are using seasoned wood . . . 1-2 times a year is fine.

Most newbies who may have a learning curve with their stove and/or have unseasoned wood (but think they have good wood) . . . they should probably at least check the chimney once a month.

I think the recommendation as to when to sweep was some fraction of an inch . . . I always forget what it was . . . less than 1/2 an inch I think . . .

For me personally . . . I would never hear the end of it if I had a chimney fire due to my line of work . . . and the safety of my family and home are pretty darn important . . . so every month or so I check and sweep the chimney . . . but for me this is a 10-15 minute job since I can do it from the ground.

Just what jake said, once a month, because it's easy for me and I sleep much easier knowing the wife and kids are safe. Minimal build up each time, but still, why not.

Ah, just burn some nespaper in the thing to clean it _ JUST KIDDING OF COURSE!

i used to clean mine once a month when I had the vigilant- I am hoping the new stove will reduce that frequency. I have been burning a month with the new stove an plan on looking in the pipe in the near future. I will most likely send the sooteater through to see what drops.

Like others have said, get used to the stove. Depending on wood quality, you may need to increase your inspection schedule. Better safe than sorry.

Back in 1991 I purchased my first wood stove and installed it in our new home I had just built. I wanted this stove (a Quadtafire 3100 ACT) to become our primary source of heat as I had a grove of trees for fuel.
I never cleaned the flue in the 16 years we lived there, never gave it any thought, house is still there and the stove still heats the home. Never an issue. It did so well I purchased another from the same manufacturer this year.
Am I endorsing never to clean your flue, no. But based upon my previous experience, I wouldn't be anal about cleaning it either.

Well, I am one of those newbies and have a question about the best way to check my chimney without going on my roof with a ladder. First of all, there is NO WAY I am even going to attempt trying to stabilize a ladder on my roof to check chimney. :grrr: I have over 10 feet of stack which is supported by two brackets on my roof.
How in the heck can those flimsy brackets hold a 200 pound man? That 200 pound man is me by the way and with the Holiday Festivities I know that I weigh in around 205!
I know if i were to try and lean ladder against chimney it would collapse over, not fun in my opinion.
So, my question to all at Hearth is, can I disassemble my single walled stack from stove to inspect my chimney? If so, do I just unscrew sheet metal screws from stack and it's that easy, (PLEASE) say it's that easy?

Thanks

Fredo

firefighterjake said:
Like many answers here the true answer is that it depends.

Most folks who have learned their woodstove and are using seasoned wood . . . 1-2 times a year is fine.

Most newbies who may have a learning curve with their stove and/or have unseasoned wood (but think they have good wood) . . . they should probably at least check the chimney once a month.

I think the recommendation as to when to sweep was some fraction of an inch . . . I always forget what it was . . . less than 1/2 an inch I think . . .

For me personally . . . I would never hear the end of it if I had a chimney fire due to my line of work . . . and the safety of my family and home are pretty darn important . . . so every month or so I check and sweep the chimney . . . but for me this is a 10-15 minute job since I can do it from the ground.

is it the same up there as it is here....no matter how many chimney fires we go to, we always
hear the same thing..."gee, i dont understand how this happened....we JUST had the chimney cleaned..

Status
Not open for further replies.