When do cracks in the firebrick become a concern (for a fireplace)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swamp_Yankee

Oct 18, 2018
Hunterdon County, NJ
For those that have been following my other threads I've decided to keep my fireplace open and let the wood stove on the other side of the house do the heating. I am going to get some sealed doors for when it is not in use however. In any event I just gave the firebox a good cleaning and took a good look at two small cracks in the brick as well as some deterioration of the mortar. How bad is this? Should the brick be pulled out, replaced and repointed soon? I should add that I have a 1/2" steel fireback on the way. Admittedly it will be more for looks than heat retention but I understand that it should protect the rear wall of the firebox as well.
20201205_093602.jpg
Thoughts? The rest of the brickwork and mortar are completely solid.

For those that have been following my other threads I've decided to keep my fireplace open and let the wood stove on the other side of the house do the heating. I am going to get some sealed doors for when it is not in use however. In any event I just gave the firebox a good cleaning and took a good look at two small cracks in the brick as well as some deterioration of the mortar. How bad is this? Should the brick be pulled out, replaced and repointed soon? I should add that I have a 1/2" steel fireback on the way. Admittedly it will be more for looks than heat retention but I understand that it should protect the rear wall of the firebox as well.
View attachment 268505
I have similar cracks. I don't think it's an issue, but look forward to the expert opinions.

Reactions: Swamp_Yankee
View attachment 268505
Nothing to worry about yet. A fireback will help protect the brick

Reactions: Swamp_Yankee