When did Travis Industries drop Avalon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Probably the same reason GM shut down all their brands. No need for that many.

Probably the same reason GM shut down all their brands. No need for that many.
It was a brand that they bought up a long time ago. With Lopi,Travis industries, Avalon, and FPX it was getting too hard to keep them straight. They simply dropped a few badges and some outdated designs.

I didn't see either on their web site.

I picked up two Freedoms on craigslist for free in the last two years. The first one was a basket case that I repaired for my house and I got a turnkey stove for a friend. Both came with blowers and the second had a surround. Great stoves.

I picked up two Freedoms on craigslist for free in the last two years. The first one was a basket case that I repaired for my house and I got a turnkey stove for a friend. Both came with blowers and the second had a surround. Great stoves.
Nice!

They only have the Freedom as an insert listed on the website.

I agree. I have the Avalon Rainier insert, extended install, no surround for more heat. Great stoves indeed.

When did Travis Industries drop Avalon?
I paid $100 for this freedom bay on the FB marketplace. I think I paid $800 for my freedom , but it was only like 2 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I have a Rainier in the front of the house that I bought on Craigslist in 2013 when we bought the house. It is our primary stove and freestanding. The Freedom is an insert in the back room. It's too much stove for that room but the price was right.

Attachments

• When did Travis Industries drop Avalon?
    IMG_0084.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 148
Lopi a Freedom. I gotta get a surround for it.
Nice! Did you get a good deal on it? Your door isn’t completely latched, it should be point straight down when completely latched.

Nice! Did you get a good deal on it? Your door isn’t completely latched, it should be point straight down when completely latched.

I got the Freedom for free with a solid liner. It was over fired and the air ducts were cracked , it was missing the upper brick supports and it was really rusty. I spent a lot of time fixing it up. It did come with a blower that worked too.

I got the Freedom for free with a solid liner. It was over fired and the air ducts were cracked , it was missing the upper brick supports and it was really rusty. I spent a lot of time fixing it up. It did come with a blower that worked too.
The only steel stoves from Lopi that I’ve seen overfire like that has from bad gaskets or not getting the door latched completely. They are pretty tough stoves.

You should have seen the house that it came out of. Everything there was worked over and trashed. The house was on an acre in Berkeley, California which is worth well over a million bucks. The grass was 4' high and there was trash everywhere. It was a portion of an old farm and the lot had the farmhouse. It looked like it was built in maybe the 1920's and could have used paint decades ago. There were broken windows and missing siding. The inside was filthy and it looked like someone dragged boulders over the oak flooring. Garbage everywhere.

The stove was busted up too. The glass was broken and all the upper firebrick was missing. Inside there was melted plastic and all kinds of cigarette butts. It wouldn't surprise me if they were throwing gasoline or something similar in there. The air ducts were cracked at the joints and the upper firebrick support metal was warped bad. This poor Freedom was thoroughly trashed. It took me months to fix it up.