Wheels on wood stovd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow.. this is different.. my current stove has been in the same spot for 5 years with no plans to move it at all. Why does a wood stove need wheels.. please explain.. is there a way that the hole in the roof magically move around with it..just curious

In a factory, we have equipment that might only move once in a few years, but still has casters.

Look at "leveling plate casters" on mcmaster.com. That would be the only type of caster you could leave attached permanently. Wheel it into place, engage the leveling feet so all 4 touch the floor, and the stove can no longer wheel away.

I don't think this is a good idea for a wood stove, though. Why do you need it to roll? Is it for cleaning?

How will OP rotate the wheels?

Reactions: firefighterjake
i can only imagine the stove being used outdoors in some way....

or, jumperjack was sleep-typing... ?

One of the wood heating gurus at UMaine, Dr. RIchard Hill, who has since passed advocated that serious wood burners would have two stoves, a small one for shoulder seasons and large one for deep winter. In theory wheels would be handy to swap them back and fourth. I think his concept was move the unused one a few feet to the side. That said its a disaster waiting to happen if somehow something or someone falls against the stove and it moves when in operation and the stove pipe disconnects. The only way I would consider it is some bolts through the floor to make sure it stays put in operation.

I have put my wood stove on wheels when moving it. Appliance dolly. Works great.

• Wow
Reactions: ispinwool
Is this just for moving or a permanent arrangement? Locking wheels would be a must. Just operating a stove door would move it a little bit at a time. An earthquake could move it a lot.

I have put my wood stove on wheels when moving it. Appliance dolly. Works great.
Yes, I have done that with each stove I've moved. Not sure what the OP wants to do.

I love it eaten by lime and I want one....I can see these stoves having wheels on them like big appliances --heck if one room does not work move it to another---lol--find the best place for heating..Begreen your just old fashioned and have the wrong attitude-lol lol.. Now seriously would not that be dangerous they would really have to be locked down so that they would not move..
clancey