What's the best backrack for hauling logs in the truck bed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
What do you fellas think would be the best style of Backrack to put in a truck to prevent logs shooting through the back glass? I'm debating between the 'safety' and 'louvred' style. Does anyone have any real world experience they can share? Would the safety style be rigid enough to withstand a log bouncing up and smashing into it without flexing and hitting the glass?

Would appreciate your thoughts/experience. Thanks!

I have the safety one
I like the fact that bungee cords and tie-down straps are easy to store
on the wires

I have the safety one
I like the fact that bungee cords and tie-down straps are easy to store
on the wires
yes the safety one does look like it provides some benefits of infinite tie down points. have you ever lashed a canoe or kayak or anything over the top of it? this would potentially be the other use that it would get on my truck.

have you ever lashed a canoe or kayak or anything over the top of it
frequently a latter gets lashed to it also tall crates and boxes
It also works great to hook the winch from my bike to rather than front tie-downs

Reactions: MissMac
frequently a latter gets lashed to it also tall crates and boxes
It also works great to hook the winch from my bike to rather than front tie-downs
do you think if a 8ft log pitched forward into it that the cage is rigid enough to not bend inwards and smash glass?

do you think if a 8ft log pitched forward into it that the cage is rigid enough to not bend inwards and smash glass?
Depends on how much space there is and how fast that log is going.

Reactions: johneh
Depends on how much space there is and how fast that log is going.
so i'm thinking specifically when they are loading the back of the truck using the clam - they unload it as softly and gently as they can, but sometimes a log will bounce up as they drop into the box. and they usually stay about a foot from the back of the box with the load, but it always ends up with some logs between 6-8 inches from the bed liner once loaded, and i've had 2 sticks come within a couple inches which caught my attention

I like the louvered ones because it would be easier to tie stuff too and if you wanted to be sure no sticks or anything came through I would put hard wire on the back of it just to insure that and I not a log hauler having a Toyata Tacoma 1999. But if were me I would want more options and I think that Louvered would give you that and if you had a off regular tie you might be cussing the other because your fingers would not fit through...Just a opinion here not a log hauler...clancey

so i'm thinking specifically when they are loading the back of the truck using the clam - they unload it as softly and gently as they can, but sometimes a log will bounce up as they drop into the box. and they usually stay about a foot from the back of the box with the load, but it always ends up with some logs between 6-8 inches from the bed liner once loaded, and i've had 2 sticks come within a couple inches which caught my attention
I think you would be fine with the wire. I agree that the louvered version looks better, but the safety rack seems to be the best function/utility. I also want one along with a flat bed, but one thing at a time!

one of my old logger friends actually told me to just get an original backrack if i wanted one at all:

He thinks all the other ones are ugly, and says he's never had a problem using this one. I just see lots of potential ways that a log could still push through, but I do agree with him that this simple style is a lot less intrusive looking on the truck.

IMO both the first 2 models will work, but if they do get hit bend and look crappy over time. My sled deck has a headache rack with square tubing, and I've bumped it with a sled harder than I care to admit and it's never bent. The ones I really like best are the racks with vertical round tubing, those are really tough too. BackRack makes a partial one, but I've seen full coverage models as well.

one of my old logger friends actually told me to just get an original backrack if i wanted one at all:

View attachment 275958

He thinks all the other ones are ugly, and says he's never had a problem using this one. I just see lots of potential ways that a log could still push through, but I do agree with him that this simple style is a lot less intrusive looking on the truck.
If just carrying logs, this one should fit the bill. But if hauling splits, would go with the safety or louvered.

Go shopping in a few wrecking yards...
You may find a good deal on a" headache rack" as they are called here.