What's the best and most cost efficient way to extend my chimney with metal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I run a BK Parlor from stovetop to chimney cap I'm at the minimum requirement of 12 feet. I want to add an additional 4 feet , not having any issues but just feel I'd squeeze even more performance out of this stove. Should or can I just use 8 inch single wall, or must it be insulated, a stove shop quoted for the 4 foot install insulated $800 big ones. Saying it must be insulated or will creosote up all to frequently, I sweep the chimney every other month during burn season no big deal. I'm not paying $800 I'll just leave it be.

I run a BK Parlor from stovetop to chimney cap I'm at the minimum requirement of 12 feet. I want to add an additional 4 feet , not having any issues but just feel I'd squeeze even more performance out of this stove. Should or can I just use 8 inch single wall, or must it be insulated, a stove shop quoted for the 4 foot install insulated $800 big ones. Saying it must be insulated or will creosote up all to frequently, I sweep the chimney every other month during burn season no big deal. I'm not paying $800 I'll just leave it be.
Yes it needs to be insulated without a doubt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx, isn't that price a little unreasonable?
I would say so without knowing any details yes. But I assume it will need braced. Is the top of the chimney solid enough to mount to or does it need fixed? Is there a stainless liner or is it clay?

What is the current setup? Is this a masonry chimney that needs to be extended or a metal chimney? Will bracing be added?

I would say so without knowing any details yes. But I assume it will need braced. Is the top of the chimney solid enough to mount to or does it need fixed? Is there a stainless liner or is it clay?
I will post a picture, THX

Where are you in NEO? I have put up a whole new 15' chimney system through the roof (SS class A) from stove to chimney cap for less than that...and no corners were cut, even ordered some optional shielding/insulation accessories, and used doublewall telescoping stove pipe too.

Where are you in NEO? I have put up a whole new 15' chimney system through the roof (SS class A) from stove to chimney cap for less than that...and no corners were cut, even ordered some optional shielding/insulation accessories, and used doublewall telescoping stove pipe too.
Yeah but when did you do that? Not in the past 5 years atleast

Yeah but when did you do that? Not in the past 5 years atleast
Yeah...4-5 years ago...I'm sure prices are up some now though.

This is 8” too.

The manuals have required 15’ for many years now. There was a time when only 12’ was required, that’s why I also have 12’. This to say that BK felt 15’ works better so you should see improvement.

Last edited:
Bath Ohio, I'd love to hire you to do this, if interested send me a PM, THX

Send me a PM with a contact # THX

Double wall won't work on an exterior? Class A or bust ,
There can be confusion in terminology because stovepipe can be single or double-wall and chimney pipe can be double or triple-walled.